Q. How to avoid ectopic pregnancy?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 01, 2020

My wife had first ectopic pregnancy before two years and her left tube was ruptured. She had laparoscopic surgery at that time and the bleeding was stopped by laser and the tube was left in ruptured condition. After one year we tried, but did not conceive. After two years of the incident, she was diagnosed with uterine tuberculosis and the ATT was started before five months. Doctor informed me to try to conceive while ATT is going on. We have tried and she conceived, but after one month she was diagnosed as cornual ectopic and had laparoscopic surgery. This time, neither the uterus wall nor the tube has ruptured. I want to know that in future will she pregnant successfully or not. Please help.

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• If tuberculosis have not done irreversible damage to the tube and endometrium (inner lining of the uterus), then pregnancy can happen either naturally or with treatment.
  • A simplest way to check these two things is one mid-cycle ultrasound (around day 13 or 14 of menses) to see the uterine lining (anything more than 8 mm to 9 mm should be reassuring) and one tubal patency test like HSG (hysterosalpingogram).
  • In case of damaged or blocked tubes, IVF would be a better option (in vitro fertilization), as it will also reduce the chance of ectopic pregnancy.

For further information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

| 

Her HSG was done seven months ago and everything was normal in that. Before two years, right tube was normal and left tube was ruptured. She conceived by right tube, but the sac walk to left tube cornual end and this time repeatedly left side cornual pregnancy happened. Right tube is still safe. Her ESR rate was 84 before five months before starting of ATT and PPD test was 20 mm, so positive. Yesterday, her stitches were removed. We both are very much depressed. She is very afraid of future pregnancy. I want to know the test do be done in the future to confirm that everything is fine to conceive. Is there any solution available that she will not suffer by ectopic repeated in future?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The history of two prior ectopic pregnancies definitely increases the chance of ectopic pregnancy in third one, to the tune of 10% to 30% depending on the underlying pathology. But still, more than 70% chance of intrauterine pregnancy is there and so there is nothing to be worried.
  • If other (right) tube was normal during laparoscopy, then you can just try naturally without worrying further.

For further doubts consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

|