Q. Can excess intake of vitamin C induce periods?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
Published on Jul 07, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 23, 2019

I am a 24 year old female. I am approximately 95 kg weight. I am in need of emergency contraception due to failed birth control. I will be ovulating tomorrow, so I am at a high risk of unwanted pregnancy. I obtained and took a 1.5 mg dose of Levonorgestrel (Plan B pill); however I have been reading online that this method of emergency contraception is ineffective because of my weight. I cannot obtain an IUD and do not wish to wait and see. If I am pregnant, then the only option is to go for abortion. I have a friend who induced her period early by taking an excessive amount of vitamin C. I am aware of the risks of taking an excessive amount of vitamin C, but I am planning on pursuing this method. I have read that vitamin C aids in inducing a period by increasing the amount of estrogen, promoting the growth of the lining of the uterus and eventually leading to the shedding of that lining. I intend on consuming 3000 mg of vitamin C for a period of three days. Is there any way that the Levonorgestrel pill would have a negative reaction with the Vitamin C? Is there any other alternative to induce a period or prevent conception other than an IUD or this Vitamin C method? Thank you in advance for your help and concern.

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• Strictly speaking, vitamin C rarely can do so as evidenced in the history of medicine. These are myths and not true reality.
  • As you are 95 kg, there is a very rare chance of failure of emergency contraceptive pills in this weight.
  • Otherwise, do another option. You can take low dose of any birth control pill as an example Novelon (combination of Desogestrel and Ethinyl estradiol); four tablets after sex and repeat four tablets after 12 hours.
  • This is also very effective, but you may have to face a bit nausea or vomiting.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I have done as recommended and took the birth control pills. I got them over-the-counter. The brand name is called Mercilon. I took first four pills at 5 PM, second four pills at 9 PM and the third set of pills at 2 AM. Now, after an hour, I am feeling rather lightheaded with increased heart rate. I also feel nausea, but you said to expect that. Also, I have not had any sleep since almost 36 hours, because I am so anxious. So, may be that is contributing to the discomfort. Considering the lightheadedness and increased heart rate, should I continue with the fourth dose of four pills at 6 AM?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• You need not take any fourth dosage.
  • I have told you to take four pills first and following that four pills after 12 hours. Nothing much other than this.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

After taking ECP, I am bleeding. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I had my periods on the 15th of last month, and I had sex on 25th. I took emergency contraceptive pills on the 26th. I am bleeding today. Am I pregnant?  Read Full »

Is doing embryo transfer on day 55 with 7.7 mm lining fine?

Query: Hello doctor,I am undergoing an IVF FET cycle. My eggs were retrieved in cycle three months back and this cycle the doctor has planned an embryo transfer. I am on 5 Progynova tablets three times a day plus Oestrogel in the evening. I also had a GSCF. Is this high dose okay? My lining is 7.7 mm and t...  Read Full »

I took emergency contraceptive pills after unprotected sex. Am I safe?

Query: Hello doctor,I have had unprotected sex. I took Plan B (72 hours) pill almost right after, four hours later. I consulted with the pharmacist on the phone but she sounded careless and told me it was safe to use. I am too young. The main question is I do not know if I should even call this vaginal sex...  Read Full »