Q. How to overcome erection problems?

Dr. Vaibhav
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 04, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 05, 2019

I am 27 years old, with no chronic health diseases. For the past six months, I have had erection problems. Everything from infrequent morning erections to weak erections while having sex and masturbating. My doctors took a full blood test and everything, including my testosterone levels, came back normal. What is the issue here? I am having trouble figuring out why a 27-year-old would be having his erections change so drastically from what they were before.

Dr. Vaibhav

Urology
#

It is now becoming very common for a young adult with erection problems, and most of the times, blood test are normal. Most common causes are,

1. Work or personal stress.

2. Diet habits.

3. Inadequate sleep.

4. Unrealistic expectations.

Body as ages, it will not have the same frequency of erection as in teens age. Good sexual life requires good mental and physical health. Micronutrients vitamin will help in improving sexual life. Changes will be gradual. Along with you have to do active physical activity as it increases neurotransmitters in the brain responsible for sexual act. If you have any more doubt contact me.

Those are all psychological causes, though. I am wondering what physical causes could be. I do not know if any of those apply to me.

1. Work or personal stress (I did not have any fear when I noticed this happening. I have dealt with a lot of work stress in my life, but it never affected my erections. I have been stressed in the last six months only because of my erection problem. I have seen 19 doctors because of this).

2. Diet habits (I do not have an unhealthy diet. Yes, sometimes I eat junk food but no more than the average person. I eat tons of fruits and vegetables, and I always have.

3. Inadequate sleep (for most of my adult life, I have always had very little sleep, and it never caused erectile dysfunction. Why would it be causing it now?

4. Aging (I understand how aging works. I know the older we get, the less our body will work, but I am only 27 years old. I should not be having a drastic change in erections. That is like saying one night I go to sleep, and my skin is just like it is now and then the next morning I wake up, and I have wrinkles like a 60-year-old man and a doctor telling me it is aging. If it were due to aging, then this would a gradual change, it should not have happened overnight. What are the chances that one of my penile arteries is damaged?

I have talked to 19 doctors about this, and none of them are taking it seriously, and it is driving me even more crazy. They are all saying it is due to anxiety, but I am not sure if it is the fact that this happened all around the time I treated my phimosis makes me think that my phimosis is what caused this.

Dr. Vaibhav

Urology
#

Phimosis is not caused by any erectile dysfunction. Without any history of injury of chronic diabetes or other neurological diseases, penile artery does not damage. As you have said, you have consulted 19 doctors, and I am sure most of them advise above lines only now not everyone can be wrong. It is not that they are not taking your problems seriously. But the reason mentioned above is the possible causes of your issuesif you still doubt the diagnosis. You can do an erection test, which is done by a urologist by injection. It tells the penile anatomy is correct for erection and problems is mostly psychological.

Damage of the penile artery or veins is caused by other factors such as neurological or diabetes? I assumed that I must have damaged a nerve because when I pulled my foreskin back for the first time with an erection, my skin only exposed my glans and could not go any further down. It was very tight underneath my glans, and when I ejaculated, and it became tighter, so I assumed that I damaged an artery by doing that. Is that not possible?

Dr. Vaibhav

Urology
#

Pulling prepuce back cannot damage the artery.

Even if it s tight around the penis?

Can stress inhibit brain development in children?

Query: Hi doctor, I read that great stress will cause brain development inhibition in children. Can this be caught up through something? Is this permanent?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Great amount of stress in children does affect brain development. As the brain develops till the age of 18 years, stress can affect the development. Stress can, in general, affect the functioning of the body, hormonal balance, and immunity levels as well. If the str...  Read Full

Stress causes stiffness in my neck and back. What can be done about it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a stiffness of neck and pain which continues to the back further. This often happens when a stressful situation arises, which also raises my BP. Worries related to health and other life concerns keep bothering me. Please suggest.  Read Full >>

Dr. Akanksha Sharma

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your symptoms, it seems like fibromyalgia with anxiety. Whenever we are anxious, our autonomic nervous system plays a role, and hence increases the blood flow to various organs by pumping more blood at higher rates, and thus heartbeats can be felt by us. Also,...  Read Full

My blood reports shows lymphocytosis and macrocytic anemia. Kindly give your opinion.

Query: Hello doctor,I would like to know your opinion of my complete blood count. I have attached my reports with this which shows absolute lymphocytosis and macrocytic anemia from two years.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to the icliniq.com. In the mentioned history hemoglobin level is low and MCV (mean corpuscular volume) is high, So macrocytic anemia is present (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The cause for which has to be ruled out. Hypothyroidism, vitamin B12 deficiency, liver di...  Read Full