Q. I have aneurysm, is it safe to take Viagra for erectile dysfunction?

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 17, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

I am a 54 year old male with complex medical histories, including a current splenic artery aneurysm, an occluded right vertebral artery, historical major spinal cord trauma from intradural schwannomas (removed twice) and multiple liver hemangiomas. I have had occasional erectile dysfunction. My testosterone level is low and I am on TRT. Is it safe for me to use Viagra or similar drugs for ED?

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

• According to me, it is better to avoid Viagra as it is a vasodilator. But, the final decision should take after consulting your cardiologist.
  • First, rule out the psychogenic causes of erectile dysfunction. Because, there is no need to take Viagra (Sildenafil), if it is a psychosexual disorder. Viagra is needed, only when the problem is organic.

For further information consult to a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

| 

Definitely, an element of psychogenic anxiety exists, but very much a random occurrence. It indicates a mix of physical and psychological triggers so hoping to remove some of the doubt to boost the confidence. I am well aware of the processes involved and also followed the recommended practices for anxiety reduction. But, the issue still can occur when feeling quite at ease. I am only getting partial response, which is not sufficient.I am just worried about vascular effects of Viagra on the aneurysm and it was recommended by my endocrinologist. Do I need to consult a vascular surgeon?

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

#

• For your psychological factor of ED, I suggest tablet Clonazepam 0.5 mg one tablet half an hour before sexual intercourse.
  • It will keep you relaxed and chances of better erection are more. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Viagra is a good drug, but having lots of side effects, mainly vascular side effects. You are already having vascular problems. So, take it only after consulting your vascular surgeon.

For further information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

|