Q. What can be done to manage swelling and pain in the tooth extracted area?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Oct 25, 2019

4 days ago, I got four teeth removed, but it was more like 8 because my teeth were broken and at gum level. Since then, I noticed what seems like a slither of tooth appearance. Then, as of yesterday a big what looks to be tooth has suddenly surfaced and it is swollen around that area with severe throbbing. A lot of times not even the Hydrocodone that I was prescribed helps with the pain.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

You have to take the painkiller three times a day for five days atleast. The pain will be there for first three to four days, and the wound will appear like yellowish-white color. It is normal, so do not touch the area at all and avoid brushing in the area also. If the pain persists even after five days, then it means you may have a dry socket condition which is caused by dislodging of the blood clot. You need to use warm saline gargle as much as possible. If some bony particle is sticking in the area then it will be necessary that you go back to your dentist. Take some antibiotics like Penicillin for five days which will give relief.

I have pain in my heels which did not get better with any painkiller. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 24 year old male. I have a pain in my heels from three to four months. I used a lot of painkillers like Ibuprofen, Voltral, Nims, Dicloran inj, Brexien, Movax, Muscoril, Rotec, Bonate, Carlex D, and Vitamin D inj. and Methicobal inj. etc, but the result is zero. I also try to w...  Read Full »

Had an extraction and bone graft was placed over it. Is there any chance for dry socket?

Query: Hi doctor, I had an extraction of a molar in the morning, and a bone graft was placed over it. My surgeon placed a collagen plug over it to make the graft to stay in place. Can I have a blood clot below it? I am afraid of getting a dry socket. Last time, I had a dry socket, when I had a wisdom toot...  Read Full »

I had my wisdom teeth removed and the swelling has not got down. Is it dry socket?

Query: Hello doctor,I had my wisdom teeth removed before four days. Even after two days, my swelling has not gone down. I also have mild to moderate pain coming from the site of extraction, that also seems to affect my jaw. My jaw is stiff, and it hurts when I talk too much or move (look down, left, and ri...  Read Full »