Wisdom Tooth Extraction

Why do I have a bump in place of a wisdom tooth?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a kind of bump on the side where my bottom wisdom tooth was. Also, there appears to be a little hole in the area with white stuff on it. It is behind my last bottom tooth where the wisdom tooth was removed years ago. It is sore to touch. I have attached the photo. It is not the whe...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems that your upper wisdom tooth (if it is present or the last molar) has grown more downwards making direct contact with the gums leading to ulceration and soreness (attachment removed to protect patient identity). As you removed lower wisdom tooth years ago, the up...  Read Full »

A red tissue growth found inside a socket of extracted wisdom tooth. What could it be?

Query: Hello doctor, I got my wisdom tooth extracted a few weeks ago, and I am concerned about a piece of red tissue growth in my socket. I am not sure if it is just a new forming tissue. Please clarify.  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. 1. It looks like a piece of surrounding gum or gingival tissue remaining after extraction. 2. I wanted to know when did you notice this for the first time? Was it not there right after extraction, or did you not notice? 3. From photograph/your attachment, it does n...  Read Full »

Can wisdom teeth cause throat pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from throat pain, red tonsil and entire jaw and neck pain. My wisdom tooth also paining for the last two to three months. When I visited an ENT doctor for my throat pain, he said that I do not have any problem inside the neck. He also advised me to visit a dentist. I...  Read Full »

Dr. Nupur Prashant Shah

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your query and photograph (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The pain, which is present due to wisdom tooth, must be ruled out earlier by consulting a dentist. Because in this case, physical examination and x-ray are necessary. So, consu...  Read Full »

When should I remove the guaze piece after wisdom tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, I got my wisdom tooth extracted. It has been 10 hours since the tooth had been take out. How long should I keep my gauze in? I have read articles on recovery, and it says a lot of reference to "dry socket," which I am trying to avoid.  Read Full »

Dr. Ummah Mohammad

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The gauze piece can be generally removed after one to two hours, provided everything is normal. Otherwise, you can change the gauze piece, along with the medication on it, and you can put fresh cotton. I do not know what your dentist had suggested to you. But I would s...  Read Full »

How to treat white patches in the mouth due to cheek biting?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30-year-old male. I had cheek biting on the left side and left upper wisdom tooth was removed a month back. After that, cheek biting has subsided. Now, I have noticed white line and patch adjacent to lower left wisdom teeth and some white dots over cheek. Near it, there is no p...  Read Full »

Dr. Tinu Thampy

Maxillofacial Prosthodontist, Dentist, Oral Implantologist, Oral And Maxillofacial Surgery

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The white patch and line seen on the buccal mucosa may be due to the cheek biting. The upper left wisdom tooth has been extracted hardly one month back. It will take another 3 to 6 months for these white patches to disappear. If it still persists, do trimming of the ...  Read Full »

Is removing wisdom teeth while pregnant advisable?

Query: Hi doctor,I have an impacted wisdom tooth, which is horizontal and I just saw that it had been severely decayed. I have been reading about it lately. Is it safe to go for an extraction?  Read Full »

Dr. Geeth Sadasivam

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, your impacted wisdom tooth has to be checked with an x-ray at a dental hospital. This helps to figure out in what angulation is the tooth impacted. You are already aware that it is horizontally impacted. You have also mentioned that the tooth is badly decaye...  Read Full »

I happened to see a piece of tissue in the socket of extracted tooth. Is it normal?

Query: Hello doctor,I got my wisdom teeth pulled before four days, the very next day I throw up due to antibiotics. An hour later, a piece of tissue was hanging on the upper right clotted socket, is this normal?  Read Full »

Dr. Sandeep Menon

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The situation which you described is entirely normal. The area surrounding the wisdom tooth gets usually inflamed, which is known as pericoronitis. After the removal of the area around the socket, which is the gingival (gum) tissue undergoes healing. The piece of tis...  Read Full »

What is the recovery time after the removal of horizontally impacted wisdom tooth?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old and had my lower wisdom tooth removed eight days ago. They were horizontally impacted. My question is why am I still in pain? I do not have pain in my extraction site. The pain is in the hinges of my jaw and down in my jaw bone. My extraction site looks fine, pink hea...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This type of extraction (lower wisdom tooth) is difficult and usually takes at least two weeks of healing time. It can be painful till then due to removal of some bone from the sides of the impacted wisdom teeth. Think as if you had a fracture in that area; fractures u...  Read Full »

Can I brush my teeth after wisdom tooth removal?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got all four of my wisdom teeth removed last week. I was looking at my back teeth, both top and bottom. On all the four teeth, at the very back of my mouth, just front of where the wisdom teeth were, I noticed what appears to be brown hairline-looking marks in the pits and on th...  Read Full »

Dr. Shamaz Mohamed

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is nothing to worry. They must be just stained pits and fissures. Since you have not brushed your teeth, or maintained your oral hygiene for a week, they have developed. I insist that you start gentle brushing and rinsing of your mouth twice daily with any over t...  Read Full »

I bit the inside of my cheek and now it is swollen. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, For the last two months, I am having small swelling inside the cheek. Also, there is some stiffness in the right throat, but not now. With general surgeon prescription I have used Metrogyl, Diataal, Tinidazole and vitamin tablets. But, still swelling is there and also I am getting some re...  Read Full »

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia

Dentist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Read Full »