Q. I experience occasional peripheral vision shadow on widening my eyes. What is it?

Dr. Souhad
Published on Jan 11, 2020

I am a 19-year-old male. I have been to a few ophthalmologists about this and they seem to think it is benign. But I want to get some other input on this. If I widen my eyes and move my head around, I can see shadows in my far peripheral vision moving as my head does. And it seems that the shadows change and become different sizes as time goes on.

Now I do have astigmatism in my right eye and from time to time I get aching, almost gnawing pains that are with the movement of the eye. And has happened in both at the same time before. I find that it happens mostly when I am in a place with very weird or bright lighting or when I am looking at a bright screen in a weirdly lit room.

I suffer from anxiety and depression which is why I guess I am coming out to ask some more questions. And I also have Asperger’s syndrome. The aches radiate to my temple as well. But as I have said I have been to doctors and they have dilated my pupils and looked at my retina and ocular nerves and told me they looked good. So I honestly do not know what could be causing these weird shadows. I have had them for quite a while. And they also get bigger and more noticeable with head tilt like when I exercise or go running or do something very physical.

I currently take Prozac 20 mg and Pantoprazole 10 mg.

Dr. Souhad

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

What you are describing is most probably breaks in the gel shaped part of the eye and is called floaters. It is a normal and physiological condition that we see in patients that have refractive errors and have no significant consequences. If these symptoms persist and are causing you discomfort look for an ophthalmologist that does a procedure called laser vitreolysis who could break them down into smaller bits so that you do not notice them that much and that is pretty much the only method of treatment.

| 

I am using toric lenses for astigmatism. How long will it take to correct astigmatism?

Query: Hello doctor, I got toric lenses to correct my astigmatism. Can I switch to regular eye lenses? I want to have colored eye lenses, but it is not available in toric lenses. And how long will it take to correct astigmatism?  Read Full »

Can I go for LASIK with high astigmatism?

Query: Hello doctor, I have -2.5 cylindrical in the right and -4 in the left eye and SPH is 4.75 in the right and 5 in the left eye. Can I go for LASIK? Will it be successful as I have high astigmatism?  Read Full »

Why am I noticing peripheral flashes with eye floaters?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past three weeks, I have had my normal right eye floaters seem strange. I noticed peripheral flashes when blinking and walking and quick black narrow lines. I saw an ophthalmologist. He found the retina to be fine. I now have some flashes around peripheral in the right eye and...  Read Full »