Q. If I not wear my specs for some time, will it affect my eye power?

Dr. Souhad
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on May 13, 2019

As I use glasses continuously whenever I put them off, my eyes start asking for them, and I feel discomfort. For some time it will be fine to put eye lens for 2-3 hours. If I do not wear specs for 3-4 hours, will it affect my power?

Dr. Souhad

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

From what you describe, you have become addicted to your glasses. Your age permits you to wear lenses, and that will provide you with even better correction and vision. But, to better evaluate your condition, I require to know your refraction and the power of your spectacles. It would be informative to know your visual acuity without and with spectacles.

Thank you, doctor. My specs are of -1.00 (right) and -1.00 (left) power. I am wearing specks from the last five to six years starting from -0.5. Yes, doctor, you are right. I have become addicted and sometimes when I remove it creates a problem for me as I feel discomfort. As you suggested above to use lenses, I want to ask that wearing lens can become risky as it will be in direct touch with eyes. Doctor, please help me out with something. I want my eyes to be okay naturally.

Dr. Souhad

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I am quite astounded that it is only SPH -1 and you have such an urge to wear your specs. Most of my patients who have such a requirement barely use their specs which I will try and convince you to start doing. First of all, since you are older than 18, you can be at ease a bit that your vision will no longer deteriorate because your eye growth has stopped.

Second of all, you have to understand the concept that these spectacles were given to you as an assist to see distant objects and should only be worn then and therefore you only require them when you are driving, watching tv, or looking for someone in a crowd (far objects).

Thirdly, although you have become addicted to them, you can get unhooked because it is a small correction and you can start by training yourself daily by not using them when you are reading, then when you are using the pc and then eventually understand that you only need them for far.

Last but not least, to help you readapt to not wearing specs, you can start lubricating the eye with artificial tears one drop four times a day in both eyes, that itself will also give you clarity of vision. As for the lenses, i was expecting some drastic correction that lead you to such dependence and it was a way to unhook you from the concept of specs. Contacts are as you mentioned not so great for your eyes only if you misuse them. If you wear them for a few hours during night outs or sports is acceptable and will not cause severe problems.

Is it mandatory to wear glass for eye power in an 8-year-old?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 8.11 years old. He had an eye injury one week before, which caused left eye corneal epithelial defect (3 mm, no infiltrate). He was adviced for constant use of single vision white glass. His reports are, Right eye (SPH=+0.00), (CYL=+0.75), (AXIS=95), (VISION=6/6). Left eye (S...  Read Full >>

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns and have gone through your son's eye records. I can confirm that the power given cannot be reversed by eating carrots and vitamins. This type of power is called a cylindrical power, and if he does not wear the glasses, he can develop weakne...  Read Full

My contact lens has dried out. Can I use it?

Query: Hello Doctor, I did not use my contact lenses for two weeks. When I opened the lens case after 2 weeks, my coloured (monthly) lenses had dried out. One of the them seems to be a little smaller. Can I use it?  Read Full >>

Dr. Yelamanchili Alekhya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com   I suggest you not to use the lenses.   Because the solution which protects them from microbes has dried out, there are chances of acanthamoeba infections.   So it is better to change the lens to prevent infections. Consult an eye care ophthalmologist online to choos...  Read Full

Why are my new glasses giving me a headache?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21 year old male. This is the fourth time I am changing my spectacles. But this time, the spectacles are hurting my ears and my right eye. And I also have a headache. What do I do?  Read Full >>

Dr. Dada Peer K
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From the history, it seems that you are having a refractive error with frequent change of spectacles. The probable cause for your headache is the change in the refractive error. I advise you to undergo refraction testing and change your spectacles according to th...  Read Full