Q. Is increased DHEA-S level, a cause for facial hair in females?

Dr. Shalini Patodiya
Published on Jan 10, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2019

My DHEA-S level is 482, which is quite high for a female. The test was done after more than 12 hours of fasting. Is it fine? The test was done as I have seven to eight thick facial hairs on my chin. About four years back, I visited a doctor for the same issue of facial hair. After checking the report, the doctor had not prescribed any medication. Since the removal of hair is time consuming and as I have to get it removed once in 15 days, I thought of getting a laser treatment. Before prescribing anything, the dermatologist asked me to get a few tests done. My all other reports are normal except DHEA-S. Please give your expert opinion regarding this.

Dr. Shalini Patodiya

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

• If your testosterone and dihydrotestosterone levels are normal, then this level is not of much significance. So, please send me your testosterone and DHT levels.

Revert back with the details to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

My testosterone level is 0.37. The DHT test was not done. The prolactin was 9.26, cortisol 172.91, LH 5.32, FSH 2.77, TSH 3.27, Hb 10.9, TLC 7300, polymorphs 60, eosinophils 6, basophils 0, monocytes 3, lymphocytes 31, platelet count 215 x 10^3, RBC 4.71 and PCV 34.2.

Dr. Shalini Patodiya

#

DHEA-S is secreted by adrenal glands in both males and females. High levels of DHEA-S can be because of multiple causes. An increase in DHEA-S is known as adrenal hyperandrogenism.

The levels above 500 needs to be investigated further. Since your level is 482, you need not worry. A slight increase is common at your age. It is also seen in patients with PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome or idiopathic hirsutism.

Your testosterone levels are quite low. This is because of the high DHEA-S levels, which are able to suppress testosterone production. This is a good sign and it means that your glands are functioning normally.

DHEA-S has very low activity in hair growth. The main hormones causing hirsutism are testosterone and DHT. Since your testosterone levels are normal and you only have a few hairs, I suggest you can proceed with lasers. DHEA-S will not be a problem for your laser response.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

From my reports, do you think that there is hope for me to get pregnant?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 29 years old. My height is 5'3", and weight is 57 kg. I got married for four years. I have an irregular period of 30 to 41 days cycle. I am trying desperately for baby from the last nine months, but there is no success. I did a follicular study last month, and they gave hCG 5000 IU ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Considering your high AMH levels (antimullerian hormone) and oligomenorrhea or irregular cycles, no hypothyroidism and hyperprolactinemia, you are likely to be a case of PCOD or PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome. Ideally, you should be getting your serum testosterone...  Read Full

What are T blockers used for?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 20 year old male and I do not want to do a MTF transition. However, I would like to stop my body from being affected by testosterone. I just turned 20 and as I grow older my body will continue to produce testosterone which will change my body into something more manly and cause me ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First let me make sure that I have understood your query. Basically you are a male and want to remain as a male but you need to avoid the manly transition and retain your feminine look. Please correct me if I am wrong. Well, there are many ways to do that. But what is imp...  Read Full

What can cause less dense beard?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male. My height is 5'8" and weight is 63 kg. I am currently not using any kind of medicine. My beard is not growing completely and I notice less growth on my mustache. Please help me.  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two main causes of decreased beard hairs: Genetic.  Hormonal imbalance. We cannot do anything more in genetics case, but we definitely can rectify the endocrinology cause. So, you need to go for a few investigations such as serum free testosterone, serum DHEAS ...  Read Full