Q. What could cause sudden fainting?

Dr. Deepika Gorthy
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 28, 2020

My friend, who is a 38 year old female, had sudden fainting and tingling tongue. She wants to know what is wrong with her. Does it necessary to visit the hospital?

#

• Sudden fainting attacks could be because of various reasons. The most common are as follows.
  1. Overactive nerves, may be caused by acts of sneezing, coughing, laughing excessively, sudden pain or fear.
  2. Closed and crowded spaces where there is too little oxygen.
  3. Dehydration.
  4. Diabetes (increase in blood sugar levels).
  5. Hypoglycemia (decreased blood sugar).
  6. In those with heart disease and low blood pressure.
  • Fainting attacks last only for a few minutes and the recovery is often complete. If this happens very rarely, then it does not require medical attention.
  • However, it may be a good idea to visit a doctor if the attack is associated with sweating, awareness of fast beating heart, decreased vision and if it lasts for a long time.
  • If there is a fainting attack, it would be helpful to lay the person in a well ventilated place with the legs elevated more than the level of the head.

For further information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|