Q. Do I need medications for grade 1 fatty liver?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

I got my annual health check-up done last weekend. From the report, the values show I have

Blood readings variations – (Page 3 and 4 of 26). Do I need to take any medication?

Variation of CYSTATIN C - 1.07 against max of 1.03. Any medication required if so please suggest tables?

Vitamin D deficiency (page 8 of 26). Any medication needed or just sunlight is enough?

Page 21 and 25 variation. Any medication needed if so suggest tablets?

High cholesterol. Please let me know if I need to take any medicine, if so please suggest tablets?

High creatinine shows 1.25 the report reference is 0.6 to 1.1 whereas on the internet it shows it can go up to 1.3. Let me know if any medication is required?

Scan report:

1. Did PSA test based on ultrasound. It looks clean.

2. Grade 1 fatty liver. Any medication needed, if so please suggest medicine.

3.TMT looks clean.

Please suggest.

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

I have seen the attachment. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

The USG (ultrasound) abdomen and the TMT (treadmill test) are not cause for concern. The prostatomegaly (i.e prostate enlargement seen on the USG has been correlated with a normal PSA level).

The high hemoglobin 17 gm% may cause symptoms due to clotting and blood sludging like headaches, chest pain and sometimes stroke. So that you should need to be evaluated by a hematologist. If you are a smoker, you should quit smoking as that too could cause high hemoglobin levels. Low vitamin D levels are seen very commonly in India.

You can do some running, getting at least half an hour exposure to sunlight, and take D-rise 60,000 Units per week for six weeks to improve these levels.

Do not worry about cystatin C as your GFR (glomerular filtration rate) is normal.

The cholesterol especially the LDL (low-density lipoprotein) is worrisome. I would advocate daily aerobics for half an hour, stop fried foods and bakery foods, more nuts and green leafy vegetables. If you want to take a medicine to lower cholesterol then Rosuvastatin 10 mg would be good.

The creatinine is again a value and eGFR being normal I would not advise anything, but if you wish further information you could consult a nephrologist.

| 

I have a couple of questions:

For high hemoglobin, I need to consult a hematologist. Should I do any additional blood tests before meeting the hematologist? We use coconut oil for cooking would that be an issue and should we change to different oil. I drink three to four pegs of alcohol three days a week, it has been a routine for me close to 20 years. Should I cut down on this?

Dr. Vivek Pillai

Cardiology
#

You need not do any additional blood tests when you meet the hematologist. You can substitute coconut oil with safflower, sunflower, olive, and groundnut oil. We would have to be very strict if you had already suffered a cardiac event or stroke but that is not the case.

About drinking, the opinion is divided, yes, cutting down to a peg or two weekly once would be good. Also, it causes high triglyceride levels.

| 

Can fasting lead to high RBC count?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood test done two months back and my RBC was 6.0, hemoglobin 17.2, and hematocrit 51, which were all high especially RBC. The blood test was in the morning and I had not eaten or drunk for eight hours before. I am an 18-year-old 130 lb male, and I was wondering if the blood ...  Read Full »

Is cholesterol level of 299 too high?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I have checked my lipid profile and sugar. The results are total cholesterol 229, HDL 53, LDL 150, BP 130/90 mmHg and sugar 104. Are these results fine? Let me know whether I have any heart disease. For cholesterol I am taking Triglize. Kindly give few suggestions to lowe...  Read Full »

My cholesterol level is low but triglyceride is high. Is 10 mg statin sufficient?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 76-year-old male. I have the following conditions. 1. IHD for many years (T wave inversion). Recently undergone TMT and 2D echo. Both are negative. 2. Mild BP is normal and under control. 3. Thyroid under control. 4. Diabetes for five years and under control. 5. Prostatom...  Read Full »