Q. How to manage fatty liver?

Dr. Datta Ram Udayagiri

I had diarrhea for about 20 days. After I got recovered, my doctor advised me to do an MRI of the abdomen. These were the results shown. There was a mild signal drop noted in the liver on the T2 fat sequence suggesting a fatty infiltration. My pancreatic head and uncinate appeared normal. Distal body and tail showed a fatty replacement. Kindly advise.

#

You have a fatty liver on MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). It is very common. Please say about the habits you have. Please mention your medical history. Please tell about your BMI (body mass index). Fatty liver can lead to liver damage and cirrhosis after a long period. I advise you check your liver function tests, sugar, and lipid profile. Follow a regular exercise and diet. Try to lose your weight. Have healthy food. Revert me with the blood reports. There is no need to take medicines for fatty liver. They will disappear after a lifestyle modification.

My LFT is fine. My lipid profile says that there is a mild increase in triglycerides. My sugar was 133 mg/dL before two days. I have hypertension. I am very socially and occasionally alcoholic. I do not have the habit of taking alcohol on a regular basis. My weight is 66 kilograms. I am worried about the fatty pancreas. Please help.

#

There is no need to worry about the fatty pancreas. Try to do exercise for at least 45 minutes every day. Avoid taking carbohydrates. Take a protein-rich diet. Avoid taking fatty foods and junk foods. Follow these steps for three months and revert me after a repeated scan report.

I will do the needful.

#

It's good. Everything will get fine soon.

Though I am recovering from diarrhea, still feeling constantly that I need to go to the bowel. I only went 1-2 times bowel in the morning but the feeling is like that. Having continuous gas in the stomach to pass out. Kindly suggest any medication for this. Thank you.

#

Good that you are better now. It would take some more time for the symptoms to improve and become completely normal. I suggest you Econorm capsules, twice a day for one week.

What I feel is after eating anything I have to go to the bowel. I feel abdominal cramps or pain and urge to go for bowel. I am also losing weight due to all this. Kindly suggest if anything to do. Thank you.

#

Kindly check your fasting blood sugar and postprandial blood sugar.

You suggested upper GI endoscopy. As my diarrhea is recovered and I only go two times in the morning, Should I still go for endoscopy? My doctor said it is IBS symptoms, so still, do I need to go for endoscopy?

#

Yes, endoscopy will exclude other problems.

My endoscopy report is normal.

#

Good, what medicines are you taking now? Is your sugar level normal?

I am taking Rabeprazole and Gutrex. My sugar report not yet came as it will be available tomorrow due to off today. Kindly suggest the medication which will be best in this case. Thank you

#

I would like to add capsule Tocofil (Tocotrienol), 1 capsule twice a day for one month.

Is this medicine fine for liver disorder? Thank you.

#

Tocofil is for fatty liver. I have advised you Econorm capsules for diarrhea, please check before.

I hope your diarrhea is better now. How is your diarrhea? Do u still have diarrhea or disturbed bowel habits?

No diarrhea but whenever I eat I feel I have to go for bowel and sometimes I go too.

#

It will take some time to improve, this can happen after a recent diarrheal illness. I advise you to wait.

Okay. Should I continue with Gutrex too or discontinue? When I take Econorm capsule in morning motion become semi-form.

#

What does Gutrex contain? Please share the picture of the medicine you are taking now. You can take Econorm for a week and stop.

It contains Chlordiazepoxide 5 mg and Clidinium bromide 2.5 mg

#

You can stop Gutrex.

Then for motion any other medicine do you like to prescribe sir as it is not fully recovered.

#

Take tablet Loperamide 1 mg twice a day for two days.

I am losing weight very frequently. It went to 64 kg from 65.6 kg in four days. What can be the reason?

#

Please consult your doctor nearby and share my suggestions. Acute diarrhea and reduced intake can reduce weight.

I found that machine was not working properly and I went to the similar machine where I measure 65.6 last 3 days before. I found the weight is 65.7. sorry to bother you. Thank you for your prompt and nice advice.

#

Okay. No problem. Take care.

Please find attached my KFT report and urine analysis and confirm if the same is fine. Globulin 3.15 and AG ratio. 1.39.

#

Your report is good. Take care.

Have you seen the report? It shows PH as alkaline. Please suggest whether it is fine or need any medication. Thank you.

#

It is fine. You can visit your urologist once.

I am still not recovering. What I feel is after eating anything I have to go for bowel. Sometimes I go too. Motion is also not tight. It is like a semi-form which after I pass sat lower down the water. So it is having no shape at all. All the reports are normal even endoscopy and stool blood occult test. Kindly suggest the medication which can stop the bowel and increase my digestive tract as I am losing weight. Kindly help sir. Thank you.

#

What are the medications you are taking now? Have u taken Econorm?

Yes doctor, I am taking Econorm. And currently, I am on Flupentixol 0.5 and Rabeprozole but seems not recovering.

#

Please take the following with your consultant approval.

1. Tablet Rifagut 400 mg, twice a day for 7 days.

2. Please stop Flupentixol. Start Loperamide 2 mg, twice a day for 2 days.

I would suggest you get a colonoscopy done as the symptoms are persisting. Please revert with the colonoscopy report.

My blood occult test is normal. Still, should I need to go for a colonoscopy?

#

Occult blood test if positive then it is useful, but if negative then it is not of much help. Colonoscopy can help other pathologies.

But with Gutrex medication morning stool is normal. But, when I get bowel movement afterwards then it is like semi-form.

#

I feel you should go for a colonoscopy. There is no specific medicine to cure it blindly, hence we need to diagnose your problem. Please revert with colonoscopy.

Hello sir

From some days I noticed that after eating paneer (cheese) and ice-cream I feel the abdominal discomfort and feeling to go for bowel.

Otherwise seems recovery but very slow. Further my weight is stagnant and not increasing.

Kindly suggest
# hi mr Bharat,

can stop milk and milk products for few days

stop Econorm

can start capsules: Providac twice a day for one week
Hello Sir I found something which may be the root cause of my diarrhea. My diarrhea started on 29th of August. I had Vitamin B12 level at 162 on 18th of August. Since it was diarrhea I thought that such fatigue, weakness and weight lose was because of diarrhea. I also went into depression and disbalance walk.
Took so many medication as suggested but those medicine was not working properly.

During period of 29th August till today I tried 2 times Vitamin B complex suppliment and found betterness than other days.

Kindly confirm whether diarrhea can be due to Vitamin B 12 deficiency and weight can be lost due to this. I went for test again 3 days ago and still its lower than the range.

Kindly suggest the proper treatment with medication for this situation so that my stomach & overall health remain fine.
# hi Mr Bharath

you need to visit a Hospital and consult a neurologist and a medical Gastroenterologist

|