Q. My fasting and PP sugar levels are 87 and 61, respectively. Why?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on May 22, 2019

My fasting sugar result was 87, and postprandial was 61. Why is it so? I had a usual breakfast, including carbs with some amount of protein. What could be the possible reason? Also, I struggle a lot with weight loss.

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetology General Practitioner
#

A slight variation in fasting and PP (postprandial) glucose levels can occur. It is not unusual. Please tell me with the value 61 with food, did you have any symptoms of hypoglycemia? This looks like reactive hypoglycemia, which tends to happen in persons with excess weight plus when one takes too much of sugary foods or drinks like aerated drinks, juices, etc.

With a BMI (body mass index) of 33.57 you are already close to grade 2 obesity. Your ideal body weight should be 65 kgs, which means there is an excess of almost 30 kgs. This is one of the reasons for reactive hypoglycemia. It is also an indicator of future development of diabetes. So avoid sugary foods, juices, and sweets. Take a healthy diet, plus make serious efforts to reduce weight. Also please check your thyroid functions.

Why am I urinating more than 10 times a day?

Query: Hi doctor, I have to pee a lot of times a day though I do not have to wake up at night to go to the toilet. I have control over pressure, but I have to go more than 10 times a day. Also, I have to pass the stool after every meal. Why?  Read Full >>

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please measure your fasting and postprandial blood glucose level as you might have diabetes. It is usually accompanied with increased thirst and increased hunger. Also, please get a urine analysis as you might have a urinary tract infection. It is usually accompanied with...  Read Full

What are the ways to reduce fasting blood sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 49 years old, moderately active, all biochemical parameters mid-range normal. Fasting sugar levels steady at 147 to 149, PP 159 to 250, drops to 80 to 105 at about 6 PM, after lunch at 1.30 to 2 PM. I am having (Glycomet Trio1 and Glycomet GP1) twice a day. Am unable to understan...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. Great fluctuations in blood sugar level are common in diabetics. Your treatment is suitable but it may require some small modifications. My advice in order to have better control is that you have to eat a small meal between the main meals. St...  Read Full

Fasting sugar level is higher than postprandial level. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother's fasting sugar is higher than the post prandial sugar (130 and 115 respectively). She had normal diet only. And also, 2 hours after taking 75 grams of glucose, without any work, the sugar level is 260. Why is this happening?  Read Full >>

Dr. Kaveri Dandapani
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Regarding blood sugar levels, if a patient is diabetic and if she is on oral medication for diabetes, the sugar levels can be as have you stated (fasting blood sugar level more than the post prandial blood sugar). This happens because most of the anti-diabetic medicatio...  Read Full

Ask a Diabetologist Now