Q. I want to know whether my liver is in bad condition.

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 33 year old male. My body weight is 64.5 kg and height is 5'3". My USG report shows that the liver is mildly enlarged in size (liver span is 123 mm), but has normal shape and outline. There is a mild diffuse homogenous increase of hepatic parenchymal echogenicity suggesting mild fatty liver. No focal area of altered echogenicity is seen. The intrahepatic tubular structures are normal. The porta hepatis is normal. Portal vein measures 7 mm. The biliary tree is not dilated. The common duct at porta hepatis measures 3 mm in diameter. The gallbladder is normally distended. The gallbladder wall is normal. No calculus or mass is seen in the gall bladder. All other organs are normal in shape and size. The overall impression is mild fatty liver. My SGOT is 43 u/L and SGPT is 35 u/L. I was a social drinker, but I gave up before five years. I want to know whether my liver is in bad condition.

#

• The liver is a workhouse for metabolism of protein and fat (lipids). When there is an excess of lipid in your blood than the capacity to metabolize by the liver, the excessive lipids start to accumulate in hepatic cells known as fatty liver.
  • This is an ongoing process, if not taken proper steps to prevent it.
  • I am sure that your liver is not in bad condition at all and it can be reverted to normal metabolism by regular exercise, intermittent fasting, use of Omega fatty acids containing oils in diet, reducing fat content in diet and by avoiding alcohol.

Diet and alcohol.

LFT (liver function tests) and ultrasonography abdomen.

Fatty liver.

Conservative treatment.

1. Regular exercise.

2. Intermittent fasting.

3. Use of Omega fatty acids containing oils in the diet.

4. Reducing fat content in diet.

5. Avoiding alcohol.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Is there any significance of the word mild in case of fatty liver? Can it be differentiated from the normal fatty liver? In what case do doctors term it as mild fatty liver instead of fatty liver?

#

• It is mild changes because USG abdomen suggested a very minimal enlargement of liver with normal echotexture and outline. This is rough grading.
  • For precise grading of fat content of the liver, you need either CT scan abdomen or MRI abdomen from which radiologist will do some special calculations to find percentages of fat content of the liver.
  • Mild and moderate level of fatty changes is not serious. They can be prevented from progress and even can be reversed also.
  • There is no definite difference, but I can say that you have fatty liver, which is of mild category.

For further doubts consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|