Q. I want to know whether my liver is in bad condition.

Answered by
Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 22, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am a 33 year old male. My body weight is 64.5 kg and height is 5'3". My USG report shows that the liver is mildly enlarged in size (liver span is 123 mm), but has normal shape and outline. There is a mild diffuse homogenous increase of hepatic parenchymal echogenicity suggesting mild fatty liver. No focal area of altered echogenicity is seen. The intrahepatic tubular structures are normal. The porta hepatis is normal. Portal vein measures 7 mm. The biliary tree is not dilated. The common duct at porta hepatis measures 3 mm in diameter. The gallbladder is normally distended. The gallbladder wall is normal. No calculus or mass is seen in the gall bladder. All other organs are normal in shape and size. The overall impression is mild fatty liver. My SGOT is 43 u/L and SGPT is 35 u/L. I was a social drinker, but I gave up before five years. I want to know whether my liver is in bad condition.



Welcome to

  • The liver is a workhouse for metabolism of protein and fat (lipids). When there is an excess of lipid in your blood than the capacity to metabolize by the liver, the excessive lipids start to accumulate in hepatic cells known as fatty liver.
  • This is an ongoing process, if not taken proper steps to prevent it.
  • I am sure that your liver is not in bad condition at all and it can be reverted to normal metabolism by regular exercise, intermittent fasting, use of Omega fatty acids containing oils in diet, reducing fat content in diet and by avoiding alcohol.

The Probable causes:

Diet and alcohol.

Investigations to be done:

LFT (liver function tests) and ultrasonography abdomen.

Probable diagnosis:

Fatty liver.

Treatment plan:

Conservative treatment.

Preventive measures:

1. Regular exercise.

2. Intermittent fasting.

3. Use of Omega fatty acids containing oils in the diet.

4. Reducing fat content in diet.

5. Avoiding alcohol.

Regarding follow up:

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online.--->

Thank you doctor,

Is there any significance of the word mild in case of fatty liver? Can it be differentiated from the normal fatty liver? In what case do doctors term it as mild fatty liver instead of fatty liver?



Welcome back to

  • It is mild changes because USG abdomen suggested a very minimal enlargement of liver with normal echotexture and outline. This is rough grading.
  • For precise grading of fat content of the liver, you need either CT scan abdomen or MRI abdomen from which radiologist will do some special calculations to find percentages of fat content of the liver.
  • Mild and moderate level of fatty changes is not serious. They can be prevented from progress and even can be reversed also.
  • There is no definite difference, but I can say that you have fatty liver, which is of mild category.

For further doubts consult a medical gastroenterologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have fatty liver. Can I take various other medicines with antibiotic?

.. for providing the details in your history. My question is that, is it the first time that the liver fatty infiltration has been discovered? Did you have had a test called FIBROSURE or liver MRI/ biopsy? Cipro is relatively safe with liver disease...   Read full

I have a lump of fat under my breast. What is it?

.. you gave indicates likely two possibilities, it may be a simple lipoma, that is just accumulation of fat cells, and the other possibility is fibroadenoma that is relatively firm in consistency and freely mobile, both are non-painful and benign con...   Read full

Can multiple myeloma be misdiagnosed over chronic alcoholism?

.. can strongly suggest myeloma; however, marrow biopsy is needed. But, one can fairly be sure about the diagnosis. Before starting treatment one will need the bone marrow biopsy. Also, bony lesion if visible on x-ray, then one may proceed without MR...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Medical Gastroenterologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.