Q. Does testing for HIV three days prior to the window period give false negative results?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

I had intercourse three months ago. Today, I bought an HIV self-test kit. The test info says that there must be a window period of three months. I am just three days short of completion of the window period. Can I do the test today itself as I am very anxious?

Kindly advise.

#

I understand your concern and would be happy to help.

The ideal window period for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is 12 weeks. During this period, the chances of false negative results are high. CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and WHO (World Health Organization) clearly state that a test result beyond 12 weeks of last exposure is considered conclusive. I suggest you wait for three more days before doing the test. I understand your anxiety, but it is better to do the test after the window period to avoid confusion.

|