Q. Is there any chance of getting HIV through massage by a gay sex worker?

Dr. Basti Bharatesh Devendra

I am a male, and I went for a massage a few days ago. I later got to know that the massage person was a gay casual sex worker. There was no sexual touching (he was fully clothed). He did not even touch my genitals. But during the massage, his hands felt some pimples and a scratch (attached photos) on my back. Since I was paranoid, I stopped him from doing the massage, and I left. Therefore the whole massage time would have been four minutes. Before and after the massage, I told him to show me his hands and palms, and I could not see visible cuts or bruises. But I still think if I missed a mild cut or scratch on his palm, that was not noticeable from my end. Can we say that this is an HIV exposure, or should I get tested? Although I did not see any visible cut, can there be a chance that a small cut I did not notice may have had blood and hence touched my small broken pimple on my back and exposed? Please help.

#

Thank you for the query. I do not need you to worry about HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). If you have not noticed any cuts on his hands, there is no chance of transmission of HIV, even if he is HIV positive. Intact skin does not transmit HIV. Moreover, there is no other risk exposure. Therefore, I do not see any need for HIV tests.

Thank you for the reply.

My worry is even if he had a minor cut that I did not notice and it got in touch with the above pimple or a scratch, will it be a negligible exposure that I do not need a test? I checked the massage man's palm and did not see a visible cut. But can there be very small cuts that might not be seen by me and bleed? I am unsure if I am making these speculations or scenarios due to my paranoia. Has there ever been an HIV transmission case reported of this nature? Could you assure me if I should stop worrying and move on? The word testing also frightens me.

#

Thank you for the follow-up query. There are no reports of transmission of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) by intact skin massage. If you have not noticed any cut implies there are no bleeding wounds. So there is no possibility of cuts transmitting HIV. These are just speculations. Just forget the issue. Get involved in activities of your interest.

|