Q. I have persistent dry cough with on and off fever. Please interpret my blood report.

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2020

I am a 50-year-old male. It all started with a continuous dry cough a couple of months ago. I have a problem with recurring sinus and resultant cold and cough due to sinus. Additionally, I also have a dry cough problem whenever I eat something like pickles or anything sour. That dry cough persists for many days (sometimes even a month) and increases whenever I have to speak.

This time also I have persistent cough before two months. That dry cough was there for almost five weeks, and after that, I started developing symptoms of fever as well. At the same time, four of my colleagues got COVID-19. As a precaution, I consulted my family physician, and he asked me to get an RT-PCR test done, and at the same time, I began preliminary treatment. Fortunately, the test came out negative, and my dry cough also got cured within two to three days of treatment. At that time, I had the following symptoms:

I had bouts of fever, two or three times a day. My body temperature rose to 99 - 100 and subsided to normal temperature within one to two hours (irrespective of whether I take a Paracetamol tablet or not). However, there was a feverish feeling in the body all time. After eight to ten hours, the fever returned, and body temperature rises again to 99 - 100.

I used to have a lot of sweating and used to feel cold. I could not sit even under the fan. There was mild pain in my legs. Sometimes when climbing up on stairs, I felt short of breath. I have general fatigue and tiredness.

My doctor asked me to get a few blood and urine tests done and started a new treatment. I showed my test reports to my doctor and he advised me to continue the same medicine course. But the same symptoms returned. I again had a fever for one to two hours, which subsided to normal temperature, and then there was a feverish feeling for the entire day. I had other symptoms, as well. Now, my doctor has advised me to get a chest x-ray and an ultrasound of the abdomen done to narrow down the root cause of the problem.

Yesterday, one of my uncles came home. He is a Homeopathic physician, and after going through my reports, he advised me to consult a hematologist as he thinks there might be some problems with my blood. However, my family doctor does not think so. I am adding my blood reports. Kindly suggest me whether I should visit a hematologist. Please also suggest what complications might be there.

Hematology Pathology
#

Noted you had a fever history and dry cough. In the attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity), a positive finding is raised CRP (C-reactive protein) and SGPT (serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase).

CRP and SGPT can be raised in viral inflammation of upper respiratory tract. However, you have a positive history of contact with COVID-19 patient as well. So if you still have a fever, I suggest you investigate with a chest CT scan that will be best to check whether the lung has an infective area or not.

Your RT PCR of nasal swab also should be repeated. I am telling you to investigate with chest CT and RT PCR because some time in COVID infection, PCR report can be a false negative. So repeat it to exclude the same.

If CT scan and COVID PCR reports are negative then viral infection could be possible. As you have dyspnea complaint, I suggest EKG (electrocardiography) investigation as well. Take one teaspoon of turmeric powder with milk daily.

Your CBC (complete blood count) report is normal, so no need to visit hematologist.

Revert with reports once done.

You can visit a pulmonologist or internal medicine specialist for your physical examination.

|