Q. My 3 year old son has fever and cough for more than a week. Please help.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My 3 year old son has a very bad cough with fever of 102 degrees Fahrenheit and above. Since one week, the doctor here has given medication Levolin, Ibugesic and Cetzine along with antibiotics. But, there is no improvement. He still has a fever and a bad cough. Please help.

#

• Since it has been a week now, evaluation would be required for this child.
  • The treatment going on is completely perfect. However, I would like to make some changes and additions.
  • The fever medicine should be given round the clock for up to three days at least. Nebulization should be given for three days. Also, please follow up with the reports.
  • The warning signs requiring admission are as follows:
  1. Breathlessness and cyanosis.
  2. Convulsion.
  3. Lethargy and refusal to feed.
  • If any one of these signs is present, please admit the child in a nearby hospital.

LRTI - lower respiratory tract infection.

1. CBC (complete blood count).
2. CRP (C-reactive protein).
3. Chest x-ray.

Pneumonia, either viral or bacterial.

I suggest the following medicines. Please consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
1. Syrup Ibugesic 5 mL (Ibuprofen) thrice daily for 3 days.
2. Syrup Asthakind DX 5 mL (Dextromethorphan, Chlorpheniramine maleate and Phenylephrine) thrice daily for 7 days.
3. Syrup Cetirizine 5 mL thrice daily for 7 days.
4. Continue the antibiotic as advised by your doctor.
5. Nebulization with Duolin - Ipratropium bromide and Levosalbutamol (1 respule) every 6 hourly, and Budecort - Budesonide (1 respule) every 12 hourly for 5 days.

If you find any of the warning signs I have told above, then please take the child to the nearest hospital and admit the child. Please follow up with the reports for any further change in the treatment plan.

Revert back with the reports to a paediatrician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|