Q. My 3 year old son has fever and cough for more than a week. Please help.

Answered by
Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

My 3 year old son has a very bad cough with fever of 102 degrees Fahrenheit and above. Since one week, the doctor here has given medication Levolin, Ibugesic and Cetzine along with antibiotics. But, there is no improvement. He still has a fever and a bad cough. Please help.



Welcome to

  • Since it has been a week now, evaluation would be required for this child.
  • The treatment going on is completely perfect. However, I would like to make some changes and additions.
  • The fever medicine should be given round the clock for up to three days at least. Nebulization should be given for three days. Also, please follow up with the reports.
  • The warning signs requiring admission are as follows:
  1. Breathlessness and cyanosis.
  2. Convulsion.
  3. Lethargy and refusal to feed.
  • If any one of these signs is present, please admit the child in a nearby hospital.

The Probable causes:

LRTI - lower respiratory tract infection.

Investigations to be done:

1. CBC (complete blood count).
2. CRP (C-reactive protein).
3. Chest x-ray.

Differential diagnosis:

Pneumonia, either viral or bacterial.

Treatment plan:

I suggest the following medicines. Please consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
1. Syrup Ibugesic 5 mL (Ibuprofen) thrice daily for 3 days.
2. Syrup Asthakind DX 5 mL (Dextromethorphan, Chlorpheniramine maleate and Phenylephrine) thrice daily for 7 days.
3. Syrup Cetirizine 5 mL thrice daily for 7 days.
4. Continue the antibiotic as advised by your doctor.
5. Nebulization with Duolin - Ipratropium bromide and Levosalbutamol (1 respule) every 6 hourly, and Budecort - Budesonide (1 respule) every 12 hourly for 5 days.

If you find any of the warning signs I have told above, then please take the child to the nearest hospital and admit the child. Please follow up with the reports for any further change in the treatment plan.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back with the reports to a paediatrician online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Does my chest x-ray show any nodules of concern?

Yes, as long as you do not have any persisting breathlessness or a cough, you do not require any further investigations ...   Read full

My daughter has developed an asthmatic cough. Please suggest a remedy.

Our family doctor said that it was rhinitis and that due to the persistent cold, she has developed the asthmatic cough ... As of now, there are no asthma symptoms ...   Read full

In chest x-ray, what is the meaning of bilateral apical inhomogeneities?

.. x-ray is a routine part of any pre-employment checkup. Your query regarding reporting of x-ray as bilateral inhomogeneous opacities suggests old or active infection most probably tuberculosis. So, it is advisable to do sputum AFB test (acid-fast b...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Paediatrician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.