Q. I am experiencing pain in my right flank side, which gets worse on exercising. Please advice.

Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 31, 2020 and last reviewed on: Nov 06, 2020

I am a 28-year-old male and I have a healthy weight. I am experiencing pain in my right lower side, just above the ribs. Pain in the right flank side, as indicated in the picture. It gets worse when I eat a lot and during exercising (heavy weight lifting). And it goes away if I eat less than I usually do for around three days. This has been going on for more than a year. A year ago, a colonoscopy did not find anything, and an ultrasound a few weeks ago also found no abnormalities. A blood test was done and found elevated gamma-globulin, lowered MCV (mean corpuscular volume), lowered neutrophils and elevated eosinophils, and elevated bilirubin. I am taking Budesonide three times per week against my asthma and thyroid medications for my hypothyroidism. Please let me know whether my blood test values could indicate sickness and how it could relate to my pain. Thank you very much.

#

Thanks for the query.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from pain in the right flank side for more than one year.

According to your blood test (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your gamma globulin, bilirubin, and eosinophil count are slightly above normal, and MCV (mean corpuscular volume),and neutrophils are somewhat below normal.

Your gamma globulin and bilirubin may be raised due to your hypothyroidism, as it can alter liver function tests. Again, hypothyroidism can cause an increased eosinophil count.

Thyroid gland dysfunction can cause decreased neutrophils or neutropenia and decreased MCV count.

As you have asthma, for that reason, your eosinophil count is slightly higher than normal.

You are using Budesonide for your asthma, and hypothyroid medication can cause slight changes in the blood picture. Some parameters become raised, and some become decreased.

Your right-sided flank pain may result from urinary tract infections, gas, musculoskeletal problems like muscle strains or a pinched nerve, constipation, appendicitis, etc.

Flank pain caused by muscle strains or tears may result from increased physical activity, a fall, a history of trauma, lifting something too heavy, or repetitive motion.

Muscle related pain may feel more like a dull ache and worsens by physical activity, pressure like sneezing, laughing, etc.

I think your right-sided flank pain is caused by weight lifting with some gas issues.

To apply heat, put a warm water bottle or a warm cloth on your painful area. To keep urself hydrated by taking plenty of fluids. You can take some medications like painkillers such as Ibuprofen, Naproxen, etc., with Domperidone, Lansoprazole, and Lactulose in case of constipation. Avoid weight lifting for a few days.

Take care. I hope I have answered your questions. In case of any other query, ask me.

|