Q. What causes the urge to urinate every 30 minutes?

Dr. Gajanan Shirpad Bhat
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 21, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

I am 28 years old, 6feet, 190 lbs. For a couple of months, I have been experiencing the urge to urinate every 30 minutes or so. There is no burning, no aches, no pains, or nothing out of the ordinary. I can hold my bladder. There is no leaking. Even when I wake up in the morning, I am still keeping my bladder fine. I went to a family clinic and took blood work along with a urine sample. The doctor told me there is microscopic blood in my urine, but nothing else. The blood test came back negative for diabetes and any other abnormalities. However, she did say my kidneys seemed stressed. From what she saw on the blood work.

As a young black male, I do suffer from high blood pressure. I fast, do a lot of cardio, and weight train. Even if I do not drink much water, I still urinate. When I do go, sometimes there is a lot that comes out, and some less. I do not smoke, and I do not drink. I am physically active. What can be causing this?

#

Your symptoms are suggestive of an increased frequency of micturition. However, we need at least a single imaging study before we start treatment. The ideal one would be an ultrasound of the abdomen, pelvis with post-void residue. Please give more details about night time-frequency, flank pain as well as any history of previous catheterization. Also, I need to know the volume of each void and the total volume of intake and output per day. Do you have any difficulty in passing stools? If you can provide all these details, we can make a diagnosis and treat accordingly.

Now that scares me. I am not able to see a specialist until I see a doctor here (a few weeks from now). As far as night time-frequency, it is pretty much the same as during the day. I try to take sleeping pills so I can avoid the urination feeling so I could fall asleep. My volume is two to three cups when I do go. I try not to drink any fluids that much because I try not to go as much. Even if I do not drink much, I still go every 30 minutes. The urine is sometimes lemonade yellow or darker (not dehydrated dark though). I remember having very very very slight flank discomfort two months, but that went away fast. No difficulty passing stools and no previous catheterizations.

#

You need not be scared, as it appears just increased frequency, which does not suggest any significant disease or disorder. Thanks for the additional info provided by you, confirms a benign condition. However, I need at least an ultrasound abdomen pelvis with the post-void residue to start you on treatment. I hope you will get back to me with USG. I again reiterate you need not be scared, it is a benign treatable condition.

|