Q. Is the pimple in genital area due to STD?

Answered by
Dr. Shanza Ikram
and medically reviewed by Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 31, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have noticed what I think is either an ingrown hair or pimple in my genital area. I would like to get a dermatologist's look at it for confirmation, in case I am wrong and it is a potential STD (though from what I have found it does not seem like HPV or herpes, nor molluscum). It appeared about a day and a half after I trimmed my pubic hair.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your case. There are two possible causes of your pimple like lesion.c

1. Ingrowing hair or folliculitis. These are usually painful lesion. Treatment is to apply Fusidic acid cream 2 to 3 times a day for seven days.

2. Chancre of primary syphilis which is actually STD. If you have a history of sexual contact during the last four weeks, then it is likely to be syphilis because this is usually painless lesions as in your case. For this, you need to undergo an investigation first and then treatment.

Investigations to be done:


Treatment plan:

1. Fusidic acid cream two times a day.
2. Oral Penicillin in case of syphilis.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
From the picture, kindly advise the treatment for my skin infection.

.. to have eczematous dermatitis. I suggest you use a potent topical steroid like Tenovate-Gn (Clobetasol propionate and Neomycin) cream or Halovate-F cream (Ulobetasol and Fusidic acid), twice daily. In addition, I suggest you take an oral antihista...   Read full

I have a red bump near my nose piercing. Please suggest some ointment.

I suggest you try using Fucibet cream (Betamethasone and Fusidic acid) twice daily for seven days over the affected area ...   Read full

I have a bump in my scrotum after safe sex. Will it be a genital wart?

Usually, Human Papilloma Virus - HPV enters through the mucosa or small cut, laceration or abrasion in the skin surface ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

What Is Epilepsy Or Seizure Disorder?
We all are familiar with the term epilepsy, and always associate it with fits or seizures. But, there is more to it. So,...  Read more»
Can viral fever lead to Parkinson's disease?
Hello doctor,I had a viral fever six years back. I had a very high temperature of 105, bad cough, also hallucinations. I...  Read more»
Parkinson's Disease: Historical Aspects and Current Treatment Approaches
This article discusses the historical aspects of Parkinsonism and, the evidence based approaches currently available for...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.