Q. Why am I getting frequent, hard and painful bumps in breast?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 03, 2020

I keep getting these bumps on my breast that turn red, then get hard and very painful. After a few days they burst and drain yellowish fluid mixed with blood. Then I am left with a big hole that will heal and scar. I have had this happen a few times over the years. But, recently it has become very frequent. I just had one last week and I am already getting another one starting.

#

• You are experiencing follicular bacterial infections called folliculitis (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • These are common in areas of high moisture content, especially in the armpit region and under the breast or seen in women wearing linen or non-cotton brassiere which can cause poor circulation of air and also cause local frictional lesions.
  • Also the presence of hair follicles over the breast, when exposed to increased sebum and moisture can get infected easily leading to pustule formation (pus filled bump), which is painful and bursts releasing pus and then healing with a scar.
  • These are most commonly seen in summer.
  • I suggest you to apply local antibiotic cream like Mupirocin over each separately for three days and you shall prevent its spread. Consult your PCP and get the prescription for this.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|