Q. Is there a safe home remedy to reduce the appearance of Fordyce spots on the penis?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 05, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 08, 2021

I have some Fordyce spots on my penis. I have some small white raised bumps on the base and sides of the penis. There is some hair growth too. I do not have irritation. I have them for a long time. I think that they are ingrown hairs formed after shaving. For the past six months to twelve months, it seems to be multiplying rapidly. Is there a safe way to reduce it?

#

I understand your concern. There is a presence of dilated glands known as Fordyce spots or syringoma (overgrowth of sweat gland cells). It does not require treatment as they are benign and it gets settled with time. Usually, they are harmless. If you want to treat them for cosmetic purposes, then you can consult your dermatologist for having radiofrequency laser sessions. It can get decreased within three to six months. Sometimes, they can persist. I suggest that there is no effective medicine that helps to resolve this issue. Taking steroids or other strong irritants can abrade the lesions. It can cause irritant reactions. Lasers help to resolve it to some extent.

|