Q. What is the treatment for Fordyce's spots on private parts?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Aug 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: May 15, 2019

I have Fordyce spots on my private parts, could you please recommend some treatment for it? Tried Vitamin A but did not help.

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

Kindly send good quality image and revert back so that first diagnosis can be made. Fordyce spots are basically prominent sebaceous glands. There is no treatment required for same because they are natural glands. Few people have prominent glands others do not. But if one does not like its appearance then it can be treated with the help of procedure like electrocauterization. No topical medications would help.

For more information consult a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

I know they are harmless but they look like a disease which is why I want to remove them. I have attached a close up of what the bumps look like. Few questions about the treatment:

1. How long does electrocauterization take?
  2. Will I be given an anesthetic?
  3. How long does it take to heal?
  4. Is it dangerous?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

1. It basically burns off lesion.
  2. A topical anesthetic agent is applied then it is kept for 30 minutes and then the procedure is done or local anesthesia can be given.
  3. 4 to 5 days it takes to heal post procedure.
  4. No, it is not.

I did some research on electrocauterization. Could you please help guide me in choosing a proper dermatologist to get this procedure done?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

When you search online it say electrocauterisation for warts or moles as same machine is used for this too. It will not be mentioned specifically. Any dermatologist would be able to help you.

Thank you doctor. I came across an article on this website that mentions "micro-punch excision" as the most effective way of removing these spots. Is that treatment available in my place? I cannot seem to find any information on it. The website also lists lasers. What are your thoughts on these other options doctor?

Dr. Sampada Avinash Thakare

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

The main idea behind procedure is to ablate the lesions so it can be done by cauterisation or Co2 surgical laser or punch excision or cryotherapycauterisation is the easiest of all and available at almost all clinics so advised. I had not seen clinical photograph attached previously. I just reviewed the same it looks like pearly penile papules to me. These are also benign growth and it is not STD.

There is no need to worry. The line of management is same as that of Fordyce spots.

I have spots on my pubic area. What could this be?

Query: Hello doctor,I have these spots on my pubic area for a while now. I visited an STD clinic two years ago and the woman who saw these said they are genital warts. I also had one on the shaft of my penis. She used nitrogen to freeze them and they disappeared (except for the big one that you can see in ...  Read Full »

I have little bumps on my foreskin. Are they fordyce spots?

Query: Hello doctor, I have little bumps on my foreskin. Are they Fordyce spots?  Read Full »

Please give a correct diagnosis for bumps on scrotum and whole body itch.

Query: Hi doctor, Initially, I had bumps on my scrotum and now I got few bumps on my penis head. I have attached the pictures for better idea. First It was told that these maybe cysts. And later it was told as Fordyce spots. Please give me correct diagnosis. Thanks.  Read Full »

Ask a Cosmetologist Now