Q. What are the white spots on my lips and the tip of the penis that spreads to other parts of the body?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I have had white spots on my lips and the tip of my penis for the past two months, now they are spreading to other sites also. I am having pain in my penis with a burning sensation during urination. I currently use Fucidin cream, Flucloxacillin, and Nystagmus oral suspension. I recovered from a herpes infection recently.

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from white spots on the lips and tip of the penis that are spreading.

According to the pictures provided here, you may suffer from Fordyce spots (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). They are 1 to 5 mm and slightly raised white papules. They may appear on the vermilion border of the lips and glans. Fordyce spots can be diagnosed clinically, and a histological examination will help to confirm it.

I suggest you use topical cream like Trichloroacetic acid or Bichloroacetic acid to shrink or remove the Fordyce spots. Isotretinoin pills will also be helpful to remove Fordyce spots. Electrosurgery, vaporizing laser treatment, or carbon dioxide laser are the treatment options to remove the Fordyce spots. Fordyce spots are usually harmless and asymptomatic, but sometimes they may cause itching, irritation, or burning. Usually, they may go away over time on their own without any medical treatments.

As fordyce spots have appeared on your penis, it is advisable to test for STD (sexually transmitted disease) panels to exclude other causes.

Take care.

|