Q. There are small red and white painless dots on my foreskin. What to do?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti
This is a premium question & answer published on May 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2021

I have a personal question regarding my foreskin. There are small round red and white painless spots there, and it does not cause any pain whatsoever. I wanted to know is it something I should be worried about?

#

• Please send clear photos of lesions and details for clarification.
  • Please send the following details.
  1. How long are you having these spots?
  2. Is there any intercourse history? If yes, then please give your partner's history.
  3. Do you have symptoms like pain, itching, etc.?
  4. Do you have any other lesion? Or any other disease?
  5. Have you done any tests? Did you take any treatment?
  6. Is it recurrent?
  7. Do you have any inguinal region swelling?

Revert with more information to a community medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/community-medicine-physician

Thank you for replying. I have these spots from around a month. I have never had sex, as I am still a virgin. I do not have any symptoms, it does not pain, itch or burn when I touch. I do not have any other lesions. Neither do I have any other disease, I am just overweight. I am not under any treatment, and it is the first time that I am getting these spots. And I do not have an inguinal swelling.

#

Thank you for the follow-up query.

Are you able to retract the foreskin? If yes, then it is a good sign.

Otherwise, if it is difficult or not retractable, then consult your doctor for examination and management. It may be phimosis, for which a simple procedure like slitting or circumcision may be needed.

In either of the situation, I suggest you try doing the following.

1. Clean the area with warm water twice daily.
  2. I suggest applying a topical antifungal cream like Clotrimazole (Candid).
  3. Wear loose cotton inner wears.

For further queries consult a community medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/community-medicine-physician

Thank you for replying. Yes, I am able to retract my foreskin easily with no pain. Do I still need to visit any doctor for examination? What is that white or red patch on my penis? I have sent a photo. Is it an infection or STD? Can it be caused by the friction during masturbation? Can you give me the name of the ointment that I should apply? How many times a day should I use the cream? Is it something serious or will it go away in some time if proper hygiene is maintained? 

#

Thank you for the follow-up query. I have seen the attached picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It is not a serious issue. If you never had intercourse, then there is no chance of STDs. Masturbation does not cause STDs.
  • It may be due to irritation or friction or fungal infection. So, maintain hygiene, clean the area with warm water twice daily. Apply topical antifungal cream like Clotrimazole (Candid) cream.
  • Consult your doctor for examination if it does not subside.

For more information consult a community medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/community-medicine-physician

Thanks for relieving my worries by saying it is nothing serious. Should I avoid masturbation till this is cured? Can I apply that cream on it directly? Is it safe for use on penis? How much cream should I apply and how many times? Would you suggest any other tablets for the same? Thank you once again.

#

Thank you for the follow-up query.

• Reduce the frequency of masturbation. Avoid too much force or friction.
  • Yes, you can apply directly in the area such that it forms a thin water like film, twice daily. For now, no tablet is required.

|