Q. My fourth generation antigen-antibody test is negative. Is it necessary to do a retest?

I had two sexual encounters with women whom I do not know their HIV status. Both were vaginal and a condom was worn. In the fourth and fifth weeks, I had a fourth-generation antibody-antigen test performed and it came back negative. Should I be retested again?

#

It is a good idea to get repeat testing, here is why. The antibody testing at the fourth and fifth weeks can give you some idea of the HIV (human immuno deficiency virus) status, but the one at 12 weeks after the exposure will confirm the negative status completely. The reason being the window period.

The window period is a duration where a person can have HIV but still test HIV negative. The fourth generation is antigen-antibody based testing and the best we have so far for screening. When suspected acute HIV infection or high risk exposure, PCR (polymerase chain reaction) is the best in the fourth and fifth weeks post-exposure.

Of note, the window period for a fourth-generation antigen-antibody test is short as compared to other HIV tests available (about four weeks). Usually by this time, 95% of infection will be detected in the blood. In general, there is a three month window period for HIV after a given exposure, and therefore for the fouth generation testing to confirm that a person is more than 99.9% infectious. Hence the 12 weeks retesting is recommended.

| 

Are stomach pain, headache and sweating in head after gay encounter symptoms of HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32-year-old male. I had a gay encounter with four men in a massage parlor in three different days. In all the four cases we have used condoms but once the condom slipped. In my second and third encounter, I got a lot of blood and that too very dark color blood and something els...  Read Full »

I have severe body pain. Is it a symptom of HIV?

Query: Hello doctor,What is the window period for HIV? I was tested negative on the 95th day after a possible exposure. But, I have all symptoms, like headaches, increase appetite, weight gain, body pains, and a blood vessel broke in my eye. I am having a lot of body pain. What are the symptoms of HIV? Pl...  Read Full »

I had pain while urinating after unprotected sex. Am I having HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex four months back and after a week I got pain while urinating and greenish fluid came out of the penis. The doctor gave me Doxycycline. Now I checked for HIV. The last test method was HIV 1 and 2 screening test, serum, and HIV 1 and p24 combo. Can I now be relaxed...  Read Full »