Q. I scratched the bumpy freckle present on my back. How to clear it?

Dr. Snehal Laul

I went to scratch my back today. I scratched a bumpy freckle. I thought that it was a pimple. Kindly tell me whether I have to be worried about it or not? Thanks in advance.

#

You can use Fucidin cream (Fusidic Acid 2%) twice daily for seven days on the scratched lesion. Did you had bleeding?

I do not have bleeding. I scratched and noticed that it was a bit bumpy.

#

It can be a normal pimple on the lesion. But still, to rule out the concern, you can do a biopsy of the lesion to rule out malignancy. Most probably, it is a benign lesion. Do not panic. Do you have a family history of melanoma? Use Photostable sunscreen daily at 9 AM, 12 PM, and 3 PM.

We do not have a family history of melanoma. I have moles and freckles throughout the body. I am concerned.

#

Self-examination of a mole with changes in size, increase in size and shape, irregular margins, and color, the darker lesion should be noted. It is necessary to see any unusual scar, crust formation, bleeding, irritation, itching around the skin. If there is any suspicious lesion, it is necessary to do a dermoscopic examination of the lesion or biopsy to rule out malignancy. Do you have any previous history of severe sunburn?

I have checked the color and it is brown. The size is 4 mm and I had some sunburns in the past. I always use sunscreen and I stay in the shade. I have sent a clear picture of it.

#

Melanoma occurs in areas exposed to sunlight. It can be benign or malignant. If it is detected early, it can be treated quickly with less scarring. The signs and symptoms are a nonhealing sore that starts as a patch or rash. There is a growth that bleeds easily or crusts over with a change in the size of the existing marks or discoloration. There is a formation of ulcers or rough scaly areas. The lesion is painful or tender or itchy. Red bumps are present shiny and there is a raised area with a central lump.

Did you see the picture? Should I be worried about it?

#

Yes, I saw the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There is nothing to worry. But order a skin biopsy to confirm. A sample of tissue is removed from the site of suspicion and sent to a laboratory for examination under a microscope (suspicious looking like a sore on the skin). As you have mentioned earlier, you had long-term sun exposure or a history of sunburn or exposure to UV (ultraviolet) rays, you should do a skin biopsy to rule out malignancy. Other risk factors are unusual scars on the skin, weakened immune system, frequent exposure to chemicals, tanning beds, presence of fair skin, exposure to UV (ultraviolet) rays, certain skin conditions, presence of many moles or dysplastic nevi on the body.

You have helped me a lot. I will order a skin biopsy to make sure.

#

It is good to avoid the mid-day sun. Use sunscreen lotion even on cloudy days. Use Photostable sunscreen at 9 AM, 12 PM, and 3 PM before 30 minutes of going outdoors. Try to wear protective clothing that covers the arms and legs. Try to avoid tanning booths. Please do a self-examination of your skin to look for changes and detect them early. Regards.

|