Q. Is it normal to have frequent urination and vomiting while taking Insulin?

Published on Apr 20, 2019

Medical history: I am a diabetic patient under insulin treatment. Frequent vomiting from today morning onwards, unable to drink even water, continuously vomiting. An urge to drink is also there due to dryness. Morning there was an urge to urinate frequently. Normally when there is an increase in sugar level, itching all over the body will be there. But this time, it is not there. Sugar level was normal when checked last week also. Kindly advice.

More details about the presenting complaint:

Continuous vomiting, excessive thirst due to dryness but unable to drink and eat anything from morning onwards due to continuous vomiting. Morning there was an urge to urinate frequently but now it is not there. No itching. Current medications: Insulin treatment. Lab tests performed: Sugar level was normal last week when checked.

#

I have a few concerns here and would like to know what is her blood sugar right now if you have a glucose monitor. She may be having very very high blood sugars causing her to go to the bathroom as now vomiting. She may be having a stomach virus.

The blood glucose level is 320 after food.

#

I would recommend taking her to a closet hospital. I think she is having hyperosmolar state and will need fluid through IV line may be 2 to 3 drips and extra Insulin, then what she is getting on a daily basis. 320 on a finger stick is very high.

I take insulin, but my sugar levels are high. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, How are you? I am a 54 year old male. Nowadays, my sugar level is very high. Every day, I inject 28 units of insulin, 16 units in the morning before food and 12 units in the evening before food. But, my sugar levels are at 255 mg. I want to know if I should increase the shot of insulin...  Read Full »

I have frequent urination, thirst, and numbness in feet and hands. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 18 years old, my height is 166 cm and my weight is 54 kg. I am a female. I have been feeling symptoms of diabetes like thirst, urination more than usual, extreme hunger, numbness in feet and hands, tingling in my back, hands trembling, blurry vision, my wounds are taking so long to ...  Read Full »

Can I take Insulin to control blood sugar?

Query: Hi doctor,I am having high blood glucose. My fasting blood sugar is 153, postprandial is 175 and before dinner 152. My doctor advised Janumet 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Sulisent in the morning. Shall I take it? Presently, I am having Invokana 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Reclid...  Read Full »