Q. Individual has genital herpes and performed oral sex. Is transmission of infection possible?

If an individual has genital herpes and performs oral sex on a non-infected person, is it possible for it to still be transmitted?

Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all, I would like to inform you that there is definite risk of transmission of HSV if there was direct skin to skin contact such as sex, oral sex, passionate kissing among others. However, the risk is low provided there was no active lesions at the area of contact. But practically speaking people with active genital lesions can have active lesions over the oral mucosa which can shed the virus, which can be transmitted to their partner.

I also like to make it clear that itching and burning sensation are very rare before appearance of lesions. It is good idea to get tested for herpes antibodies.

| 

Does HSV IgG value of 1.74 confirms the diagnosis of genital herpes?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from genital herpes. My HSV IgG range was 1.74. I am having burning and itching in my inner walls of the vagina for about a week. Please help.  Read Full »

What are the chances of passing herpes to the partner after unprotected sex?

Query: Hi doctor, I was on a business trip and my friend and I went to a high-end brothel. My friend hired two girls and brought them back to the hotel. He had to take a phone call and while the girls were waiting for him they performed oral sex on me for a few minutes without a condom. They had no sympt...  Read Full »

I performed oral sex right after getting scaling done. What is my risk of HIV?

Query: Hi doctor, A few weeks ago, I had oral sex with a female sex worker. I did oral sex initially after I came from scaling. I had bleeding from my gums. The bleeding was purely from the clean instruments used. I performed oral sex on her only around the clitoris region on the outside. She wiped hersel...  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now