Q. I have chest congestion, acid reflux, and heartburn. Is it GERD or a heart attack?

Published on May 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2019

I am a 25 year old male, who weighs 240 lbs, and I am 5.10 feet tall. Tonight I had what I think was acid reflux or heartburn. I was not sure about it, as I have never had it. I felt like something is stuck in my throat, and also I felt a chest congestion when I tried to cough. I was reading online about the symptoms of GERD but also started reading about heart attack symptoms. I did not have any noticeable chest pains, but after reading about how people have a feeling of uneasiness, I had a weird feeling rush over my body for a brief second or two that felt like pins and needles and numbness, then I came back to normal. Is this a sign of anxiety, hypochondriasis, or a heart attack?

#

Thanks for your query. Let go of your anxiety.

Gastroesophageal reflux disease is 80 % corrected by simple diet and lifestyle modifications. So, I would suggest you try the following.

1. Lose your weight. If your BMI (body mass index) is 25 or above, you need to lose weight.
  2. Coffee, chocolates, citrus juices, tomato-based products, peppermints, onion family, beans, etc., are some of the food that you need to avoid, to relieve the symptoms.
  3. If you are fond of eating, it is time to stop it. Reduce your food intake. Instead of increasing the quantity, increase the frequency. Eat five short meals instead of three bigger ones.
  4. If you sleep just after or within three hours of meal intake, this habit needs to be stopped. Increase the interval.
  5. When you sleep, elevating the head at least 8 inches would be a good addition to the plan to combat GERD.
  6. Bending, stooping, and upside down hangings, with all other unnatural postures, need to be avoided.

Your symptoms could also be due to multivitamin deficiency, especially, vitamin B12 deficiency.

Hope this helps.

For more information consult a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full »

I have GERD. Can you suggest any treament?

Query: Hello Doctor, I have been suffering from stomach ulcer for the past 2 years. Till now the ulcer was not severe, but since few days I have been having stomach pain everytime after having food. Doctor diagnosed that, I have GERD. But even then I faced GERD problems rarely. But for the past 3 weeks ...  Read Full »

How can I treat the pain a little left under my Adam's apple?

Query: Hello doctor, There is pain under Adam's apple a little to the left. I have a history of acid reflux. There is a pain in the throat with acid reflux. I did see an ENT about two years ago. Everything was fine except for swollen vocal cords due to the acid reflux. I also had thyroid studies and ...  Read Full »