Q. What causes a burning sensation in the throat and chest, vomiting, and breathlessness?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat

I have a burning sensation in my throat and chest. I feel breathless, and the condition worsens in the morning and night. I also feel the urge to vomit, but I do not feel nauseous. I do not have any previous history of the symptoms, and I am currently on contraceptive pills. Please help.

#

I have read your query, and I am sorry for such discomfort you are having.

I guess you have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or acid reflux, considering your symptoms. Please answer the below questions:

1) How often do you get these symptoms?

2) Is it more after eating oily and spicy foods?

3) Does the symptoms get more severe when lying supine or after having a meal?

4) Are you under stress lately?

5) Do you have a history of chronic cough?

I would suggest the following:

1. Avoid foods that aggravate reflux like oily, spicy foods, dark chocolates, etc.

2. Avoid drinking tea and beverages.

3. Eat small servings and, more important, avoid heavy meals before bedtime. Take meals at least two hours before bedtime.

4. Elevate the head with a few pillows to lessen the reflux.

5. If there is a history of smoking, avoid it.

6. Take tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg, a proton pump inhibitor (PPI), once a day on an empty stomach if the above lifestyle changes do not control reflux symptoms. Try the above customary adjustments to lessen the reflux.

Please answer the above questions and follow up if you have any further related queries. Answering the above questions will give a more detailed history of the present problem, helping me tailor the diagnosis more precisely.

Thanks.

|