iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDentistrygum infectionI have swollen gum behind last tooth with cold. Please help.

Why am I having swollen gum behind last tooth with cold?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At February 4, 2019
Reviewed AtFebruary 23, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I have a cold and have lost my voice. But my gum has swollen up significantly behind my last tooth in my lower right side.

Kindly help.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern.

The swollen gum behind your tooth is a condition called pericoronitis. It generally occurs with the partially erupted last molar or teeth. The food gets entraped between the tooth and gum and it gets infected leading to pain and swelling of the gums. It is also characterized by the pain while opening the mouth. After checking your drug history I would advise you to take antibiotics Metronidazole 400 mg three times daily for three days and also analgesic Aceclofenac 100 mg (Zerodol MR) when you have any pain (if you are not allergic to any of these). Also use Hydrogen peroxide 0.1 % mouthwash diluted in water (1:1) three times daily for five days. If the problem still persists, I suggest you go to the dentist and get the procedure called operculectomy done. Also, I would advise you to have good oral hygiene from now on and brush your teeth twice daily and floss regularly. Use mouth rinses after every meal.

I hope this information will help you.


Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir
Dr. Himayoon Majeed Mir


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy