Q. My gum graft surgery stitches have become loose. What to do?

Dr. Naveen Thomas
Published on Jan 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I had gum graft surgery a couple of days ago. Now, the swelling has gone down around the graft site. I am noticing that some of my stitches on one side are loose and coming out. Should I be worried about this? There is no bleeding. Otherwise, it appears to be healing. I have attached photos for your reference.

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentistry Endodontist Paediatric Dentistry Periodontist
#

• The suture or stitches are self-dissolving, then will get loosen and dissolve in the course of time.
  • I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The gum grafts are adequately placed and tight as required. You do not need to worry about it.
  • The area is healing well, thus continue all instructions as given to maintain hygiene in the area. Take care.

For further information consult a periodontist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/periodontist

I believe my sutures are not self-dissolving because I have an appointment to have them removed. Does this change the initial answer?

Dr. Naveen Thomas

#

• Fine, still it is not a problem as they will become loose when the inflammation reduces. When swelling is reduced gum tissues will shrink and causing the looseness.
  • In the picture, they seem to be adequately holding the restored gum tissue. Do not worry.

How to keep breath fresh all day?

Query: Hello doctor, I do not have any dental issues. I have been getting regular dental checks. How do I keep my breath fresh all day?  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is good to know that you go for regular dental check-ups. Breath can be kept fresh by maintaining oral hygiene. Follow proper brushing technique (Bass-sulcular method). Brush once in 12 hours. Gargle after every meal. Clean your tongue daily. You can use flos...  Read Full

Is Gum Inflammation a Curable Problem?

Article Overview: The medical terminology for inflamed gums is 'gingivitis'. It is one of the most common oral health concerns faced by each of us. This article talks about the causes and cure for gingivitis. Read Article

Gingivitis refers to inflammation of the gums. Gums (or gingiva) along with the bones and ligaments form the supporting structure of the teeth. Once they get swollen, there is redness, puffiness, and bleeding of gums. But, in most cases, it is treatable and reversible. When left untreated, it can l...  Read Article

How can inflammation of the eye be cured?

Query: Hello doctor, My eye was inflamed and I applied Pred Forte and the inflammation disappeared. I work on the computer a lot. In the past, there has been some redness, but cold compresses have been helpful. The redness is back again now. My eyes always go red after I wake up. I applied s...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rahul Vaswani
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity) It appears to be episcleritis. I suggest you take a milder medicine but this too has to be tapered and stopped. I suggest you start Tobramycin plus Fluorometholone e...  Read Full

Ask a Periodontist Now