Q. I want to know the reason behind my excessive hair fall. Please suggest some medication.

Dr. John H. Bocachica
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 16, 2021

I am a 19-year-old female. I want to know the reason behind my excessive hair fall. I have this issue for five years and now, it has become worse. Previously, I consulted a dermatologist before few days and he advised me to do a blood test. It was normal and so he did not give any medication. My skin remains oily and I have an acne problem. Before entering my teenage, my hair was healthy but now I have only one-fourth part of hair thickness. My cousins also have this issue. But I am experiencing it at a very younger age. I think that I will have a bald patch on my head after a year. Kindly tell me the reason for hair fall and also give some possible solutions. Some medications do not suit me and so kindly give me some external use products.

#

This is a broad question and a broad topic to be discussed. I will try to answer it without knowing some details of your particular case. A wide range of conditions causes hair loss. The most common causes are pregnancy, thyroid disorders, and anemia. Other causes are autoimmune diseases, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), skin conditions such as psoriasis, and seborrheic dermatitis. It is good to consult a dermatologist in practice to evaluate you in-depth and you can do some blood tests to rule out the cause. Previously, you have consulted a dermatologist and he has advised you to do some blood investigations. He advised it to know your iron level or hormone levels as these are involved in hair loss in females. It is hard for me to suggest you a treatment as it is necessary to rule out the cause first and I do not know about your type of hair loss particularly.

|