Q. What is the reason for foul smell in my mouth? What can be done?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 08, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2022

I have been experiencing a foul smell in my mouth for a few years. This may be due to an unclean stomach. Please, can you prescribe me some medication to clean my stomach? Also, whatever I eat does not nourish my body. Can I know the reason?

#

Bad breath or halitosis most commonly originates from the oral cavity or nasal passages.

Periodontal disease, caries, acute forms of gingivitis, poorly fitting dentures, oral abscess, tongue coating, and sinusitis are common causes.

It can also originate from the gut.

Since your halitosis is of a chronic origin, I would suggest you undergo an endoscopy. Treatment will proceed accordingly.

|