Periodontal Gum Disease

The gum surrounding one tooth is puffy and does not lay flat against tooth. Could it be a periodontal disease?

Query: Hello doctor,I have always had decent dental health, except for flare-ups with stress. Recently I noticed sensitivity along with bottom front teeth. When I pulled out my bottom lip, I noticed that the gum surrounding one tooth looked puffy. Not red, or sensitive, but it sticks out, it does not lay f...  Read Full »

Dr. Avinash Bettahalli

Dentist, Endodontist, Maxillofacial Prosthodontist, Oral Implantologist, Orthodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Puffy swollen gums are a sign of periodontal disease. The cause of the periodontal disease is microbial deposits on the teeth (dental plaque). The plaque when mineralized become tartar (calculus). The calculus, in turn, attracts more plaque, and the disease process c...  Read Full »

Why are the gums lose around my teeth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years old. It feels like my front six teeth are clicking. I saw a bit of blood whilst brushing my teeth, so flossed more rigorous than usual and now I feel like they are moving. My gums look healthy and I swilled with salt water as it is supposed to be good for healing. 7 years ag...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Dentist, Endodontist, Pedodontist, Periodontist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You should keep using salt water gargle as much as possible. Some mobility is common for a person who had braces in the past. Do not floss too much or too deep. Wisdom tooth eruption causes mobility all over the teeth due to its constant pushing forward. Do not worry too...  Read Full »

I am facing a shaking tooth in my bottom jaw. What is the solution for this?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 17 years old. I am facing a shaking tooth in my bottom jaw. What is the solution for this?  Read Full »

Dr. Rohee John

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Shaking tooth means tooth mobility. Causes are various like periodontal (means your gums are loose not enough to support the tooth, or because of less oral hygiene). Other reason might be trauma, broken, and shaking (mobile) tooth.  Read Full »

After getting my teeth cleaned, why do I still have inflammation?

Query: Hello doctor, I got a teeth cleaning done, but the inflammation is still there. The dentist said that I need to get treated for a receding gum line through surgery. She said it was due to brushing hard and asked me to switch to a soft bristle toothbrush and sensodyne toothpaste. I am also awaiting ...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Use warm saline gargling daily at least 2 or 3 times, for two weeks. This will help in reducing the inflammation and help in preventing further recession of gum line. Also if you can get Betadine gargle for rinsing then it would be much better, this would be of grea...  Read Full »

I have a swelling on gums and it bleeds when I touch. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I woke up this morning with this dried up blood in between my upper front teeth and blood comes out when I touch it. It does not hurt, and when I brush my teeth, I can see it move. I have not noticed any changes in my gums or teeth. My gums usually bleed when the bristles of my toothbrush...  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have viewed the images attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It looks like there is a deep infection in the gums in that localized area and there can also be periodontal pocket formation. As you also bleeding on brushing, it further indicates towar...  Read Full »

Can this hard and tender lump inside my lower cheek be cancerous?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 25 years old. Just under my right jawline, I had a tender pain, a couple days later it had swelled. Now, that has gone down but there seems to be a bump inside my lower cheek where the gums meet the cheek. It seems thick or hard, not really moveable and more on the inside of the ch...  Read Full »

Dr. Prerna Jain

Dentist, Orthodontist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The symptoms that you have described are most common to an infection-related swelling associated with a cavitated tooth. This can be easily diagnosed by a clinical examination (you can check by yourself or send a picture) followed by an X-ray (IOPA). If however, the...  Read Full »

What is the reason for foul smell in my mouth? What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been experiencing a foul smell in my mouth since a few years. This may be due to an unclean stomach. Please, can you prescribe me some medication to clean the stomach? Also, whatever I eat does not nourish my body. Can I know the reason?  Read Full »

General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Bad breath or halitosis most commonly originates from the oral cavity or nasal passages. Periodontal disease, caries, acute forms of gingivitis, poorly fitting dentures, oral abscess, tongue coating, and sinusitis are common causes. It can also originate from the gut...  Read Full »

I have an upper jaw pain and cannot close my mouth. What could be the reason?

Query: Hello doctor,From my left front tooth, all the way to the back of my teeth on top hurt. I cannot close my mouth and it feels like the pain is going up into the bone under my nose. What could that possibly be?  Read Full »

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray

Dentist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your description, it seems to me that you have an apical periodontitis. If you have any cavity related to this area, the tenderness is because of it. Or you must have malocclusion, meaning there is more pressure on these teeth. You need to visit a dentist who will...  Read Full »

How will miscarriage reflect on dental health?

Query: Hi doctor, I heard something yesterday, and I wanted to know if it is possible. Can having a miscarriage cause your teeth to fall out? What effects will it cause on your body? And how will it reflect on dental health? Thank you for your time.  Read Full »

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist, Oral Implantologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Well, miscarriage does not directly cause dental problems, but hormonal changes do. During pregnancy, hormonal changes can cause gums to swell and enlarge with increased probability of gum and periodontal diseases. So, hormonal changes can be a culprit. If someone suffe...  Read Full »

Can I wear fixed retainer during scaling and root planing treatment?

Query: Hi doctor, I have just been told that I have gum disease and 3 mm to 6 mm pockets. And, my wisdom teeth have 8 mm pocket. I have braces on now and I am due to have them off next month. I need to get scaling and root planing treatment to treat my gum problems. Can I still wear a fixed retainer? I r...  Read Full »

Dr. Naveen Thomas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, you can wear your fixed retainer without any problem. Also, you have to make sure that you use your removable retainer also for the next two to three years without any break. When you have periodontal problems, there is a high chance of spaces opening up between teet...  Read Full »