Q. Should I be concerned about my abnormal laboratory results?

Dr. Jimesh H Mavani
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 15, 2020

Though my doctors have not contacted me, should I be concerned with my abnormal laboratory test results? The laboratory results show cholesterol of 257 (critical high), total bilirubin of 0.24 (low), creatinine (urine) of 205.3 (High), WBC/HPF of 9 (High) and urine leukocyte esterase of 2+(high). Please tell your opinion.

#

• You should contact your doctor if creatinine level and WBC counts are high. You should not worry about other tests.
  • High creatinine level suggests some problem in your kidney. It may be directly or indirectly related to the kidney. But in both the situations, you should undergo proper investigations to diagnose the underlying problem. Sonography with renal function test and urine culture may be needed.
  • High WBC - white blood cell count mostly suggests the presence of some infection focus in the body. Please consult a specialist to find out where it is and get treated accordingly.
  • As you have sent only the report values, it is impossible to correctly tell what it means. The individual body responds differently and hence, clinical correlation is needed. It is not possible to diagnose something with blood reports alone.

For further information consult a general practitioner online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-practitioner

|