Q. Are my baby's headaches related to migraine or vision defects?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My baby has been complaining of headaches for more than a month now. It is on both sides of her eyes, and it aggravates in the morning when she wakes up and at night when she lies down.

We have got the following tests done for her:

1. MRI.

2. Blood tests for iron, vitamin B12, vitamin D.

3. Stool test for bacteria and parasites, including H.pylori.

All the values are in the normal range. We still cannot figure out the cause. Also, there are stomach aches when headaches. It happens most days, and eating something or any activity does not make any difference.

#

As per your description, this seems to be a migraine. However, vision defects may also cause the above complaints. It is best to get the child evaluated for any vision defects and get the appropriate glasses made for the same. If no vision defects are noted, it would be worthwhile to start the child on a course of the following medication.

1.Tablet Combiflam (Ibuprofen) - 1 tab twice daily.

2. Tablet Rantac (Ranitidine) -1 tab twice daily for ten days and observe.

|