Q. Can migraine and thyroid cause swelling in the arms?

Answered by Dr. Sai BALAJI and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Hypothyroidism or Tsh Level? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

My mother is 65 years old. All her general physical parameters are normal and she is leading a normal healthy life. But, she suffers from migraine. So whenever she has migraine headache, she takes Analgin (Novalgin) medicine.

Few days back, she took the Analgin and noticed swelling in her left forearm (photo attached). This swelling has occurred in past too, but this time it persists for a week along with general body pain, fatigue and mild sweating at times. BP and temperature are normal. Family doctor suggested full body check up, chest x-ray, few blood tests and thyroid test specifically. All came normal except thyroid (report attached).

She did not take any medicine for the swelling yet. Please suggest what could be the cause? How can we prevent it?