Q. I have sharp stabbing headaches, which get worse after exercise. Should I go to a doctor?

Dr. Rares Chinezu
This is a premium question & answer published on May 19, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 18, 2021

I am an 18 year old girl, who weighs 140 lbs and I am 5.7 feet tall. I get sharp stabbing headaches, which get worse after exercise. I also feel a less intense pressure throughout my head. I have this problem from the past four years, and they are getting worse. When I am stressed, I get these headaches 10 to 30 times a day. They last for about 20 seconds to 20 minutes. I get a pressure between my eyes that makes me feel dizzy, and I feel nauseous, and it is the same feeling as the stabbing headaches but less intense. These headaches have recently become more frequent and last longer. I can feel it behind my eye sometimes too. When I get it somewhere else, my eyes water up. It increases when I strain my back, bend over, and when exposed to light. My long distance vision is possibly decreased, sometimes I have very slightly blurred vision. I always seem to be nauseous. I even have memory problems, and the things I want to say do not come out properly, and I lose my train of thought. I have a constant cold, sleep paralysis, dizziness, and hallucination. I am always tired, and I feel a sharp pain in my neck and shoulders. Should I go to the doctor about all of these things? Or should I not worry about them?

#

Thank you for the query.

• The signs you described are non-specific but should be checked. Especially, if headaches are followed with vomiting, you had multiple prescription glasses changed rapidly, loss of smell, and have trouble expressing verbally.
  • There are quite a few diseases that give these symptoms, from a simple sinusitis to more complex neurological diseases. So, you should book an appointment with a local neurologist, and perform a cerebral MRI.

For more information consult a neuro surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neuro-surgeon

|