Q. Why do I have severe headache while bending down?

Since, ten days, I have been suffering with flu and headache. I took tablet Zifi 200 mg and tablet Sinarest. But, nothing seems to be working. After taking the pills, the flu and headache disappeared temporarily for just one day and got back immediately. My wife too is having the same problem. Please help. Thank you in advance.

#

I went through the details you have given. You seem to have a sinusitis infection. Well, for me to be sure, if you are having sinusitis, I would like to have some more information.

You are complaining of headache. Is it like a facial pain? Or like a brow ache? Is there any headache while bending down?

• Do you get any temporary relief after taking tablet Sinarest or steam inhalation?
  • Are you having nose blockage or running nose?

If all the above conditions turn out to be positive, then for sure, you are having sinusitis.

• I would like to know the following details, so that I can give you a better treatment plan. Have you taken the complete course of tablet Cefixime 200 mg for five days? Are you using nasal drops Xylometazoline 0.1% or Oxymetazoline hydrochloride 0.05% to relieve nasal blockage? Did you take steam inhalation?
  • In case if all the above mentioned suggestions were already tried and still you did not get any relief, then it could be because of allergy. Allergy could have resulted in sneezing, nasal congestion, itching and running nose.

For allergy, I would prescribe you to use Mometasone furoate (Nasonex) and Fluticasone furoate nasal spray.

• Montelukast (Singulair) nasal spray is given to reduce allergic inflammation associated with nose.
  • To confirm if the cause is allergy, few investigations need to be done; We need to get absolute eosinophil count and Serum IgE (Immunoglobulin E) tests done.

To check for bacterial infection, a diagnostic nasal endoscopy must be performed. This test will in turn help us to get information regarding the pathology inside the nose and give us a clear idea as to what is causing the infection to not heal.

Finally, a CT scan of PNS (Paranasal Sinuses) should be taken. It will show the ostiomeatal complex and sinus drainage pathways and also show if any abnormality is present.

Some of the general measures you need to follow to get rid of headache and flu are:

1. Avoid smoking and drinking till you feel better.
  2. Drink three to four liters of water daily (hot water).
  3. Do not have chilled foods or drinks.
  4. Take lots of steam inhalation.
  5. Avoid direct exposure to sun. Stay away from dust, traffic, smoke and pollution.
  6. Consume healthy and nutritious food along with vitamin supplements.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

For further information consult an allergy specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/allergy-specialist

| 

I have sinusitis and feel like something is stuck in my neck. What can be done?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got chronic sinusitis diagnosed by ENT doctor. I am suffering from difficulties of swelling for months, feel like something is stuck in my neck like sputum or something else that is moving up and down, especially while eating or having flu. Do you think it is related to ENT or I h...  Read Full »

Why does my 7-year-old have breathing difficulty, cough and throat pain?

Query: Hi doctor, My 7 year old daughter has difficulty in breathing. Sometimes, she also makes noise while breathing. She has frequent cough and pain in the throat. The doctor advised a few medications. There was a little relief after two days. After exemption of medicine, the breathing difficulty, cough...  Read Full »

Have allergy problems. I always have runny nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and coughing and cannot breathe normally.

Query: Hello, I have been having allergy problems for many years. I cannot breathe from my nose even if it is not blocked because I feel like I get less oxygen from my nose. I also have asthma and as the seasons change my allergies react. I always have running nose or sore throat or excessive sneezing and ...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask an Allergy Specialist Now