Q. I am 30 years old, and I feel chest tightness in the morning. Please help.

Dr. Muhammad Zohaib Siddiq

I am 30 years old. I love caffeine, smoke weed every day, exercise a couple of times a week. I am not under any specific diet. There is tightness in my chest, mainly in the morning. It feels like my heart is swollen. Nothing really makes it better, and it does seem to fade as the day goes on. Exercise (rising heart rate) does not make it worse or better. I was affected with COVID-19 for four months, and also I have taken the COVID-19 vaccine. Can you please help?

#

Tightness in the chest can be due to many causes such as asthma, smoking, musculoskeletal pain, gastric upset, and heart issues. Heart issues at a young age are uncommon.

Do you have asthma, wheezing, chest or muscular pain, or any other disease?

To be on the safer side, have an ECG (electrocardiograph) done when you have tightness in the chest. Kindly get back with the details for further treatment and management.

Musculoskeletal, asthma, smoking-related, or just anxiety-related.

ECG (electrocardiograph), CBC (complete blood count) with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate).

Stop smoking, exercise, and reduce weight.

Thank you doctor for the reply.

I have no other diseases. When I was 12 years, I was diagnosed with athletic asthma but never used an inhaler and played college baseball without any issue. No specific muscle pains that are any different from my normal. I do drink three to four cups of coffee a day and at least one soda. Please help.

#

Please do follow these instructions:

1) Stop weed smoking.

2) Get chest auscultated by a physician to listen if wheeze is present. Sometimes, there is only wheeze in asthma with no symptoms except chest tightness in the early morning.

3) Do exercise, have a Mediterranean diet, and lose weight.

4) Get an ECG done when you have chest discomfort. This is to be on the safe side; otherwise chance of cardiac issues is improbable.

5) You have exercise-induced asthma. This is asymptomatic at rest, and symptoms of difficulty in breathing, wheezing, chest tightness occur only during exercise or exertion, especially in cold weather.

6) Nebulization with saline or with Salbutamol (or in inhaler form) relieves symptoms.

|