Q. As there was no heartbeat in the 9th week, the doctor asked us to abort. What to do?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 25, 2021

My wife is pregnant. She is in the eighth week of pregnancy. We consulted a gynecologist. During the sixth week, she was able to see the heartbeat of the baby. But now, she is unable to see it. On seeing the scan, she told me that there is an abnormal growth of the baby and so she asked us to abort it. What to do?

#

According to your description, your wife seems to have missed miscarriage. The fetus has failed to grow due to stoppage of the heartbeat. It can get aborted on its own or you can take medications to abort it. It takes some time to get aborted on its own or you can consider taking medications as advised by your gynecologist. In case of waiting, it is advisable to do weekly blood tests to monitor it and it takes up to two to three weeks to get expelled spontaneously. It is better to go for evacuation under the guidance of the gynecologist too.

For spontaneous expulsion, your wife needs to do blood group and Rh (Rhesus factor) antigen testing. She needs to do a complete hemogram with platelets and coagulation profile weekly.

Follow the treatment options as mentioned.

|