Q. Can H. pylori infection be treated with injectable antibiotics?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
Published on Aug 17, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been diagnosed with an H.pylori infection. My current symptoms are an inability to eat properly, excessive burping, and restlessness. My doctor advised taking Cravit and Amoxicillin, along with Pantoprazole as an acid reducer. Just after one doze of antibiotics, I have severe bloating in the stomach and found it difficult to breathe or burp, and had to be rushed to the emergency room. Can H.pylori infection be treated with injectable antibiotics? As my stomach is extremely sensitive to strong oral antibiotics as of now. I am in severe discomfort and help would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

• Injectable therapy is available for H.pylori infection, and it is more efficacious as compared to oral treatment. Injectable therapy include.
  1. Injection Omeprazole 80 mg stat, followed by 40 mg twice a day for three days, intravenously.
  2. Injection Ampicillin 1.5 gm stat, followed by 750 mg three times a day, intravenously, for three days.
  3. Injection Erythromycin 500 mg, three times a day for three days, intravenously.
  • Discuss with your doctor about these injections.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Thanks a lot for your response. My doctor said no such possibility exists.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

#

• We normally use 14 days of oral therapy for H.pylori, this is the standard treatment. Intravenous treatment is not in usual practice because most of the patients tolerate oral regimen very well.
  • The intravenous treatment is basically for acute situations, the best result of eradication can be achieved with oral therapy.

For further queries consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

How to cure infection after ear piercing?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 4 years old. After piercing her ear, she is suffering from piercing infection. Her weight is 20 kg. I have also attached the pictures of her ears.  Read Full >>

Dr. Eriol Braholli
General Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It obviously is an infection from the piercing. To cure that you have to take the following measures. Remove the piercing. If pus comes out of piercing hole, squeeze it gently and put warm compresses to ease draining. I suggest her Cefuroxime syrup 250 mg per 5 mL a ...  Read Full

Does Omeprazole 20 mg have side effects?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been suffering from symptoms of gastritis now for over a week. However, I took a capsule of Omeprazole 20 mg, and there seems to be a considerable relief, and I feel a lot better. Is it possible that one capsule can do this? Also, I have read online that Omeprazole can be associ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Prathap

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor. It will decrease the acid production in the stomach and relieve the symptoms rapidly. The worries like pneumonia or so are very very less. It is usually a safe drug. For more information consult a general medicine phys...  Read Full

Can Omeprazole be used for gastritis?

Query: Hi doctor, I have suffered from gastritis-like symptoms for about a week now. I have an occasional mild tummy ache and nausea which is relieved by belching. I have suffered from acute gastritis now for several years, although I cannot be 100 % certain why. I tested positive for the h. pylori bacteri...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.You seem to be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) associated with gastritis. Yes, you can take Omeprazole 20 mg. Once a day would be enough. There are no major side effects. There is no indication for taking triple therapy for h.pylori again. I advise the fol...  Read Full