iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersPathologyhemoglobinMy wife has to undergo a bone marrow test. Please help.

Does a bone marrow test help in detecting the cause of low hemoglobin?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At May 28, 2023
Reviewed AtDecember 19, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My wife aged 36 with low hemoglobin got her hemoglobin and platelet increased. But after two months, she had vomiting and developed jaundice, and the hemoglobin got reduced again. The doctors advised two bottles of blood transfusion, but after 75 % of the blood was transfused, she got allergic for two days. Her hemoglobin is now 6.5 to 7 g/dL, and the doctors are now asking her to take a bone marrow test as they feel that the blood is dissolving. What should I do doctor?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I read your query and can understand your concern. I have noted that your wife's hemoglobin level is not increasing with iron treatment and decreasing for two months according to the history provided. Moreover, she had suffered from jaundice as well. So, I suggest you rule out hemolytic anemia by peripheral smear examination, reticulocyte count estimation, serum LDH estimation, and further reports accordingly. You can consult a hematologist for getting evaluated further. If no cause is identified then a bone marrow-like invasive study should be done. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Thanks and take care.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

blood transfusionhemoglobin

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy