Q. I am 19 weeks pregnant, and my HBV surface antigen is positive. Kindly help me.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 22, 2021 and last reviewed on: Aug 14, 2021

I carried out a hepatitis test six months ago, which was negative. I also carried out another hepatitis test recently, in which the HBV surface antigen was positive, but on further testing, the HBc IgM and HBeAg tests were negative. I am currently a mess as I do not understand how this could have happened as my partner's test came out inactive, and I am currently 19 weeks pregnant. I am attaching my reports. Kindly guide me.

#

The reports suggest (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity) that you possibly have hepatitis B infection but do not have the IgM (immunoglobin) antibodies to fight it. This infection may be passed on to the child. The child will need to receive hepatitis B vaccination in the first 24 hours of birth, followed immediately by hepatitis B immunoglobulin to reduce viral load in the child.

As regards you, you will need repeat hepatitis B antigen and antibody testing after two weeks to see if the antibodies have increased. Also, I would suggest you consult a hepatologist in physical for the same if any supportive management is required. Mostly this is all about monitoring (specifically for the development of hepatitis E infection in hepatitis B) and nothing else.

I hope this was helpful.

What sort of supportive management do you think I may require. Also, to clarify, you mean hepatitis B can develop into hepatitis E?

Also, how is it that my partner tested negative?

Kindly give your opinion.

#

Supportive management means the use of Liv 52 (Capparis Spinosa, Cichorium Intybus, Solanum Nigrum, Terminalia Arjuna, Cassia Occidentalis, Achillea Millefolium, Tamarix gallica) medications for liver support and diets like reduced intake of non-vegetarian and oily and processed food to reduce the load on the liver.

Hepatitis B cannot develop into Hepatitis E. However, it predisposes to Hepatitis E infection. I will need to see your partner reports to understand how exactly the partner is negative. It may be possible the partner may be a carrier.

I hope this was helpful.

|