Q. Is there any possibility for me to get hepatitis C if condom tears during vaginal sex?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
Hi doctor
I have question about hepatite C
I had vaginal sex with condom but unfortunately the condom was torn during the sex and I stopped it. Is there any possibility for me to get hepatite C in this way?(actually I didn’t know her)

I have tested for HCV blood test 60 days after exposure and it was negative. If I test one more time at 90 days ,it will be conclusive? Or I should repeat the test more?thanks for your help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Hello. I welcome you to icliniq.

I want to know which test did you do to check Hepatitis C?

If this was a high quantitative PCR test and if it was negative, then you are completely safe. If it was antibody test, and was negative, then I suggest to confrim with quantitative HCV PCR test.

The antibody response to HCV viral infection is slow, hence a negative antibody tests does not confirm absence of infection. Means it can be falsely negative. Quantitative HCV PCR if negative then it can confirmly rule out the infection. For example if you were exposed, then PCR test can come positive as earliest as 1 to 2 weeks.

Do scree yourself for other sexually transmitted disease, HBV and HIV.

I hope this will help you understand things. Good day

Risk stratification for HCV exposure

Risk stratification for HCV exposure

Follow if required.

| 

What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old heterosexual male. I am HIV negative with no known STD. I always have safe sex. I always have very safe sex with girls who are not sex workers. But may have casual sex with others. Generally, I would imagine that they too would be practicing safe sex with their regul...  Read Full »

How to cure hepatitis C viral disease?

Query: Hi doctor, My mother is 59 years old, with type 2 diabetes for the past 15 years. She is taking medications for diabetes, blood pressure and multivitamin Centrum Her diabetes and BP are under control. Before four months, she had severe vomiting, fever and body pain. We approached a hospital and did ...  Read Full »

Can taking contraceptive pills before sex be effective in preventing pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, How can pregnancy be avoided completely without the help of condoms?  Read Full »