Q. I have high blood pressure. Can I work out at a gym?

Dr. Sapkal Ganeshrao Patilba
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2022

I am checking my blood pressure for a week now and it is mostly about 134/94. A physician asked me not to work out at the gym. Can you please advise if I can join a gym? My parents and a few other relatives had high BP. I have done an ECG and chest X-ray last year and both were normal. Please provide your opinion.

#

Your BP readings are definitely on the higher side.

Initially, you should get evaluated for high BP (blood pressure).

You need to have other investigations like ABPM (ambulatory blood pressure monitoring), echocardiography, serum creatinine, serum electrolytes, and TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone).

After investigations, if you find any cause, treat it to control your BP.

If you do not find any cause then do dietary and lifestyle modifications like low salt diet and see how your BP responds to it.

Coming to your main concern, the gym. Before starting a gym, get evaluated as said above.

With this level of BP, you may join a gym only after getting evaluated. Because evaluation will guide us the level of activity you can perform in gym depending on the cause of high blood pressure.

|