Q. I had gay encounters followed by a lot of bleeding. Can it be AIDS?

Answered by
Dr. Ashok Kumar Choudhary
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 21, 2022

Hello doctor,

I am a 32-year-old man. I had gay encounters with three men in a massage parlor on three different days. In all three cases, we have used condoms. In my second and third encounters, I got a lot of blood, and that too very dark-colored blood, and something else also came. I had a word with my doctor. He has asked me to get it tested. Three weeks after my encounter, I have taken tests for HIV 1 and 2. Both antibody screening tests (serum) and VDRL-RPR (serum) were non-reactive. Now it is more than 16 days. I am not feeling well. I cannot sleep during the night thinking about the possibility of AIDS. My company has laid our entire team. So, I am free nowadays. From today, I started feeling weak. For the past two to three days, I am also suffering from indigestion. Please help me.



Welcome to

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all, I like to inform you that the transmission of HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) requires the mixing of body fluids. The use of condoms effectively prevents such mixing. I understand that there was bleeding, but the use of a condom will ensure that you did not get an infection.

Secondly, at 16 days, there is no chance that HIV will be tested positive. However, it is advisable to get tested for P24 antigen to get a confirmation that you are not infected, as I can see that a total of 25 days have passed (21 days before the test and 16 days after the test). This is the right time to use the western blot technique for the P24 antigen. I must inform you that the P24 antigen is a very specific test and can give you sure results at the end of four weeks in most cases.

Thirdly, I feel it is important to manage your stress level. I completely agree with your fear, but we need to understand that stress is not going to solve problems. It is rightly possible that your current symptoms are due to psychological stress. Do whatever you can to manage the stress. It is most important to remain engaged with one or another activity as idleness will cause more problems.

To conclude, I like to state that your current problem is psychological, and there is a need to take the right approach to manage it.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
How can acute anxiety symptoms due to fear of exams be managed?

.. exams and fear of poor performance results in anxiety and this anxiety is resulting in distraction which cause poor concentration in exams and poor focus. This further deteriorates the performance and you feel bad due to exams. This is a vicious c...   Read full

What should I do to concentrate in my studies?

.. understand your concern. The recurrent distractibility could be occurring due to anxiety and should be evaluated. Intrusive thoughts during studying result in distraction. If remembering the things related to the past and imagining things are cau...   Read full

Hearing Aids - Different Types and How They Work

.. be used to improve hearing in people with hearing loss. In this article, learn about the types, uses, and how to use hearing aids properly .. ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Listeriosis - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Listeriosis is a bacterial infection, that can result in severe complications like meningitis, sepsis, and even death. R...  Read more»
Myositis - Types, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prognosis
The term "myositis" refers to a set of uncommon diseases. To know more about myositis, read the full article below.  Read more»
Osteoporosis: an Important Public Health Problem
Osteoporosis is a problem that is largely preventable. This article focuses on the causes of osteoporosis and the availa...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Sexologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.